Thursday, April 24, 2014

Beach Vacation Day 1

With Easter behind us, we headed to the beach for a family vacation!

Loaded into the van, ready to go

The 250-mile drive wasn't our best, wasn't our worst . . .

The second-story front porch of the condominium

The front porch overlooks a playground: how fun is that?


Their first hammock

Their first flipflops


After dinner on the first night, we walked the 900 feet to the beach to check it out. So many memories came flooding back for me! My dad used to take us on an annual family vacation to Cape Cod, Mass., for years, and then we switched to Nantucket Island for years after that. How I miss those times!

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Now it's time to make some new memories . . .




Yes, that is John's shovel flying through the air (upper left)

After so much excitement, the children had trouble settling for bed and weren't asleep till about ten at night. And then my exhausted-from-driving-all-day knight in shining armor went to the grocery store at my request so that we could eat breakfast at the condo instead of a restaurant, and he didn't get home till midnight. Any single ladies who are reading this blog (unlikely!): note that that is what servant-hearted husbands do . . .

5 comments:

  1. Hilton Head is such a beautiful place, I'm so glad you are getting to vacation there. It looks like fun, but I can't get over it's the children's first pair of flip flops??? We do have grandparents that live at the beach, so my perception might be skewed. Also, I find it amusing that you post so many posts at 6 am on the dot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are super blessed.in the husband dept! What a guy..lol! Looks like a good day was had by all! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priscilla:

    Re: the six o'clock posts . . . I usually write them the night before and schedule Blogger to publish them at six in the morning, just because I have a nitpicky, controlling personality and I like the regularity of it all.

    Re: flip flops, Chris and I just don't like them because they're bad for the feet, they result in blisters, young kids generally can't manage them, so they're tripping or walking slowly. So, we have avoided them till now but the kids were begging to have them for the beach, so we gave in. And here they are, tripping and walking slowly and complaining of foot pain . . .

    Love,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire: Yes, I'm sure I don't deserve Chris' good treatment.

    Love,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful! Your children are just adorable! Love from Buffalo!

    ReplyDelete