Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Product Review: "Their Hearts Are His Garden"

I have begun teaching a more formal version of catechism with Margaret, who turns three years old next month. Of course, the greatest catechism is what children absorb from their family living an authentic family life, learning their prayers because the family actually prays them instead of memorizing them as a dry workbook exercise.

Catechism is slated as our first subject of the day because it is the most important. I teach Mary and John together and, while Margaret is wandering about nearby, she doesn't listen in much because the discussion is over her head. I saw her reaching an age when I could teach her formally and wondered what to do until I remembered a wonderful book I had purchased and found to be too "babyish" for my five- and seven-year-olds . . . and I think it is nearly perfect for Margaret!



"Their Hearts Are His Garden" by Sr. Mary Marguerite, C.S.J. (Neumann Press, 1940) is a wonderful collection of conversational "chats" to be had with a child. In my opinion, this book is suited for children two-and-a-half through three or maybe four years old.

I enjoy so much this kind of catechism: snuggling, conversation, asking questions, and letting the children's little minds run off with questions. In trying to think how to explain to my readers what I liked about this book, I thought it best for me simply to record on video a couple of catechism sessions. I frequently step away from the words on the page to draw in the child ("It was Fr. Reid who baptized you!"), ask questions ("do you think God can always see us?"), draw her back to what we are doing ("isn't that right, Margaret?"). Margaret comes pitter-pattering with joy when I ask her to join me for catechism.

I thought perhaps the videos were ruined by the baby crying and the bigger kids fighting, but then I decided that those details added some real life . . . that's what homeschooling around here is like!





A two-year-old is capable of learning a surprising amount about the faith, even at this tender age. Margaret seems very quiet in these videos, but since those lessons, she's been talking about Adam and Eve, saints, and related subjects.

"Their Hearts Are His Garden" can be purchased in beautiful, high-quality hardcover for $18.95 from Neumann Press, now owned by Saint Benedict Press.

2 comments:

  1. How do you find this compares to "Chats With God's Little Ones?" (Which I think at least is directed at a slightly older age?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Wood: I still love "Chats With God's Little Ones." Chats is definitely aimed at older children (K, 1st, 2nd?), and I like it for a First Holy Communion year.

    With Chats, the parents is asking a lot of Socratic method questions, so the child actually needs a pretty solid background of Catholic catechism, gleaned from growing up in a practicing household. Garden is teaching everything from scratch and at a preschooler level.

    ReplyDelete