Monday, February 24, 2014

Am I Being a Saint?

There are some downsides to the children being able to read increasingly well . . . 


. . . they can read words I don't want them to read or things which I must explain!

The other day I was listening to a sermon online and heard the quotation from St. Teresa of Avila: "In the company of saints, we become saints." Immediately into my head leapt: 'It is my job to try to get my children to heaven, to make them saints. Who are they around? Me! Am I being a saint to my children?' (No, a lot of times, I am not!)

So--feeling convicted--I ran to my giant white board and wrote that note to myself. I am accustomed to writing whatever I want on the white board without their being able to read it.

But then Mary came along, started reading it, John walked over, helped her with a couple of trickier words, and they read the whole thing. And then turned to look at me and voiced wonder if I was being a saint to them.

Oh my! More accountability!

(I was listening to a different sermon, but doesn't this one look worthwhile?)

No comments:

Post a Comment