Thursday, October 10, 2013

Margaret Dipping Her Toes Back in the Water

In the six weeks since Margaret developed a fear of drains, things have been improving!

Chris and I were very gentle and didn't try to force her through her fear. We let her use diapers to avoid toilets, we didn't flush anything around her, I couldn't even throw scraps of food down the disposal drain without her panicking. I had her wash her hands in a little plastic basin of water, and we did as few baths as possible and used the plastic baby tub.

Meanwhile, she took baby steps. We talked about drains and what could and couldn't fit down them. We sang Mr. Rogers' "You Can Never Go Down the Drain"!


I knew things were turning around when I saw Margaret splashing in the water last week, staying near the sink drain longer than absolutely necessary.


Since then she has graduated to washing her hands in the regular sink! She tolerates other people flushing a toilet with her nearby without crying. The other day I caught her doing water play all by herself in the bathroom sink!

Things are looking up and I'm so glad this looks like it would be a fairly short phase.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how she was doing. Thankful for a positive update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she's coming out of the dark, poor little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy and relieved for you to hear about Margaret's progress! With time, and the patience and love of her parents all will be well! Ann Lawton

    ReplyDelete