Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pre-Baby Date Night

Last night, Chris and I were treated to an evening of babysitting from a couple of friends from our parish. What a delight and a generous offer! We took advantage to go on one last date before the new baby arrives--and this one will have to serve for our wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks as well! (Because if I am still pregnant at that point--believe me, nobody is going to want to be around me, not even my husband on a nice date.)

Here, I will treat you to a picture of the flowers Chris gave me instead of the requisite picture of us posing on our way out the door. These last few days, even when I am trying to dress in as pretty a way as I can, all I can think of is, "Are you kidding me? BIG. Just BIG."

We ate a delicious meal at a fancy restaurant--where they put the linen napkins in your lap for you, whisk away crumbs, and can make real Bananas Foster at your table side. I tried not to burst into laughter or tears when the maitre d' sat us at a booth (who sits a huge pregnant lady at a booth?) and had to scootch aside the table so I could squeeze in, and then scootch it back. The food was absolutely wonderful. I had hoped that afterward, before heading to the movie, we'd walk around the nearby boutiques and do window-shopping, but walking is Not Exactly Comfortable at this point (as all mommies have experienced), so all I changed my mind to: "Well, I think I can walk to the car . . . probably."

We had wanted to see a movie like "Les Miserables" or "The Hobbit," but both are two-and-a-half hours long, which my body just can't take right now, so we opted for "The Impossible"--a natural disaster thriller highlighting the true life experience of one family in the 2004 Asian tsunami. The visual effects were amazing and I think the acting was good. It was probably not the best choice of a movie for an 8-month-pregnant woman to watch and, as Chris said, "I want to be watching this in our living room where I know our children are safe upstairs." He and I each had nightmares all night about natural disasters: my four nightmares were all about rescuing babies from fires, run-away cars, etc.

The children adored their babysitters and have been raving about their good time ever since. Even Margaret did well--till bedtime, which she couldn't handle (as I knew she couldn't). We got home at 9:30, but the little bunchkin was so worked up that she stayed up till 11:00 just chatting at me in the darkness, weeping if I ever stepped out of her site.

So, now, I've checked "One Last Date" off of my pre-baby to do list. I'm just waiting at this point! (Friends: All those lectures and encouragement I give you during your last few weeks about how seriously important these days are, the baby is growing so much, gaining so much fat, getting all their antibodies and iron stores laid down, "you can do it!"--yeah, I'm really needing those cheerleading sessions!)


3 comments:

  1. You CAN do it, Katherine! You will survive and God already knows what the baby's birthday will be. You are just waiting for it to be revealed to you. :) (Which will be SOON, at least in the grand scheme of things!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of how wonderfully chubby your baby will be and how fat s/he will grow on your mama milk and your love. Mama milk that will be produced from the fat stores in your body. What a miracle of creation that God made in us women and our bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you made it out one last time! My husband and I had an afternoon of furniture shopping followed by dinner a few weeks ago, but I like the idea of squeezing in one more outing before Baby.

    ReplyDelete