Thursday, January 24, 2013

Happy One Week, Joseph!


An old pregnancy photo of me? Nope, that's me doing Kangaroo Care with Joseph, a practice shown to have statistically significant benefits like helping newborns regulate heart rate and temperature (thereby not wasting calories to do those things) and gain weight faster.

Blessings from Joseph's One-Week Birthday (Wednesday)

1. Having a good weepy breakdown with one's lactation consultant and husband helps ease Mama's tension so she can keep on keepin' on with this two-hour cycle of baby care.

2. I am learning many spiritual lessons through this rocky start to nursing.

3. I'm getting much better supply results for Joseph.

4. Joseph is gaining weight well, which means his bilirubin is surely being cleared out (I hope to get him tested Friday). For three days, he gained two ounces per day!

5. Around four o'clock, Joseph woke up on his own to eat! He woke up on his own and squeaked to eat!!!


6. And then after I woke him and fed him around seven o'clock, he stayed happily and quietly alert (photo above) for at least twenty minutes! This is the baby who I've been feeding by bottle and blunt syringe while he's fast asleep most of the time.

7. My IBCLC says that these signs of Joseph waking up means we can start trying to teach him how to nurse directly!

13 comments:

  1. He's beautiful, and so are you! Happy you're figuring out the feeding...good job, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks be to God! I have been very concerned for you and Joseph, especially when there are no blog updates. I will continue to pray for nursing success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story of perseverance, K!
    The other day I was at the grocery store and carrying Linus in the moby wrap, and an older lady stopped to admire and count my kids, and then said, "And one on the way!" And I turned and pointed to his little face sticking out. Always funny to be thought pregnant while babywearing. :) I guess the main difference, other than being on the outside, is that the baby is right side up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so relieved to hear Joseph is doing so much better! Praise Jesus! Good job, momma! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful news Katherine! I have been thinking about you and praying that things are getting better. I pray that God continues to give you the strength you need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah: That is a funny story! Yes, I joke that when I birth the baby, the baby doesn't go far! He just moves to the outside where he then resides in a sling on my tummy for months!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent news!!! I'm 5 1/2 weeks post-partum and still having some struggles with breastfeeding Alice. It can be so discouraging, especially having successfully nursed the other two kiddos...but I had some struggles with Jamie too (which took a good three months to resolve!), so I'm trying to relax.

    So true about the baby wearing, but I maintain that it's far easier to carry baby on the outside than the inside! :). Sarah's story is funny. The comment I got recently was "what's in there?!?! A dog??" Ummmmm???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that things are improving with Joseph. I will continue to pray for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He looks perfect to me! This time will pass quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to read things are improving on the nursing front. I am so glad you are knowledgeable and you have an LCto help out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, the form wouldn't let me type more for some reason. I am also amazed at how alike your children all look. I can see resemblances already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Continued prayers sweet K. You are working so hard right now to give him the best start in life. He is so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete