Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Dyeing Yarn

My lovely knitting friend gave John his own wool yarn and wooden circular needles. She taught me how to teach a five-year-old how to knit, so I hope to pass on the lesson to John this week. In the meanwhile, the first step was--just for fun--to dye his yarn using my friend's excellent instructions. The only tip I don't think I read (might have missed it) was that it might be useful to wear disposable latex gloves during the procedure, as we ended up with blue hands the rest of the day!

Wetting the yarn with water and vinegar 

Making the dye using food coloring

Drizzling the dye

Before cooking the yarn in the microwave


Rinsing the yarn in the kitchen sink

Drying the yarn in the sunny window: I think the yarn looks like sea foam.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I used to dye my own yarn a ton- yanno, back when I had 1 kid. :P Now that I think of it, I used to knit, too.

    ReplyDelete