Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My Seemingly Perfect Day

My day yesterday went so smoothly--like something I'd read about on a blog that makes the homeschooling lifestyle seem prissy perfect--that I felt suspicious and worried all day!

I slept in late till after six. Breakfast and morning chores went well. One child went with Daddy to a weekday Mass and was home happily at 7:45.

I had laundry humming, dishes washed, and children dressed when we started sharp at eight. School time went beautifully, just like what a parent dreams about when she's planning to homeschool but has no experience yet.

We finished all our schooling without dashing any subjects aside by 9:15, even including a potty break and a pause to change over the laundry.

I had the whole day stretching before me to decide calmly what we would do instead of a lengthy list of tasks pressing down on me. I decided to take the children to Wal-Mart, taking them shopping with me, which I almost never do. They made it through the two-hour shopping trip basically fairly well, with only a normal degree of correction required on my part.

The baby fell asleep on the way home, but was able to be transferred to her crib so she actually napped a full two hours instead of a measly few minutes in the car, leaving her crabby for the rest of the day. See how the day was becoming more and more surreal?

The children went into Quiet Time after lunch peaceably and easily and stayed there. I looked around and didn't have anything pressing to do, so I lay down to nap in the middle of the day. For once I thought to myself, "Well, the baby could wake up from her nap anytime now and I'd be okay"--instead of thinking, "Please, please, keep sleeping, don't wake up!"

The weather was exquisite and I had free time (free time?) so I sat outside reading an engrossing book ("Why Gender Matters" by Dr. Sax) while supervising the barefoot children playing happily. I finished three large loads of laundry.

Then I introduced the children to the book Pinocchio, which I hope to read to them in full before we see the (surely dumbed-down) play in a few weeks. This is the real Pinnochio by Carlo Collodi--lengthy, dark, and full of meaningful symbolism. To my joy, John's interest was rapt and he had me read seven chapters before I absolutely had to stop in order to make dinner. It was one of those homeschooling mama's dreamy moments.

Dinner was incredibly easy because I had picked up a take-and-bake pizza at Wal-Mart. Children ate happily without complaint. The kitchen was back to spotless by 5:30. The family Rosary went smoothly with no consequences doled out. (Do you see? Do you see why I was suspicious all the time? What mother's day goes this well?!)

Then I left for  a brilliant night of reflection for women given by a priest: home-baked cookies, good socialization, and being spiritually fed. Bedtimes (including for Margaret) went so easily and sweetly that Chris remarked that I shouldn't even count it as "an evening out" because it was too easy on him.

And then I actually stayed awake till the end of the presidential debate instead of falling asleep ten minutes into it like I have every other one.

Are you kidding me? It was like the perfect quiet, domestic day that newlywed women think their days are going to be like. And I spent the entire day wondering what was wrong, what I'd forgotten to do, and, if it really was this perfect, was there any key to it? Was there anything I could replicate the next day?

I think the answer is 'no.' I think my great day was as random as are many of my chaotic days that leave me in tears. And that's the frustrating thing! But I thank God for a bonus day that went so well. I have no expectations for today, that's for sure.

10 comments:

  1. You deserved it! Hope there are many more in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm SO glad you had a GREAT day!!!

    I read Pinocchio to my kids last year, they LOVED it. There were parts that were scary for a 3 and 4yr old, but I was amazed at how well they sat and focused on the story. I'm sure John will love it. And it helped my kids get through the scary/sad parts when I'd remind them that earlier in the story something bad/sad had happened to Pinocchio and that he'd learned a lesson and come out of it a little wiser than before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up about scary parts! Shouldn't surprise me given the dark nature of the fable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to give yourself a little credit here, Katherine :-) You worked hard doing all that laundry, instead of procrastinating. You trained your children to do their school time, behave in public and have quiet time. Good planning ahead on the take-n-bake, etc... Of course there are days when we do all the same things and they end in disaster, but when they go well I like to think it's not an accident :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon: It's a tough call. Obviously, a woman who allows herself to retain lazy habits and doesn't diligently learn how to run a home and manage and teach children is going to have a chaotic home life. And a woman who works at her vocation diligently is probably going to have a better home life. But even between those two truths, I find so many days have a result that seems utterly random to me. I work so hard, focusing, being diligent, training the children, having a plan, being consistent--and still I collapse in a heap at the end of the day and feel that it's all for naught. And then things will go beautifully and I have no idea why it "worked" that day or moment and not the other day or moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I hope you just savored the moment. Some days just click like that. Glad yesterday was one of those days for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a day like that just last week! It was lovely! I tried just to enjoy it for what it was instead of worrying about future days....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you, Katherine! We can't control the results, but your faithfulness is to be commended! Your day sounded amazing! Hoping you'll see more like them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love days like that. :)

    ReplyDelete