Monday, October 8, 2012

A Healthy Baby but an Injured Mary

We have a healthy baby in utero but Mary is injured for the fourth time in two weeks!

Today was a zany day. In the morning I went to a ladies' meeting and enjoyed the luxury of taking only Margaret, leaving the two bigger ones with Grampa. The meeting ran late and I got home to a degree of chaos because the glass stove top which I broke--thankyouverymuch--was being replaced.



Margaret "smiling" for the camera while being placed by Daddy in the empty socket of the stove

I was home a mere hour before going to my mid-pregnancy ultrasound appointment. My homebirth-friendly obstetrician is an hour's drive away, so I was gone more than three hours, leaving all three children with (extremely generous) Grampa Neil who babysat them.

Scanned ultrasound photo to come . . . but we do have one seemingly happy and healthy baby boy or girl in there! It was a real joy to see Baby squirming around!

I arrived home and within minutes heard screaming from the bonus room. The children were playing happily behind Grampa Neil sitting on the couch, so we have no eye witnesses for what happened next. Somehow Mary was standing on a chair which toppled over. Mary's screaming didn't stop, so I went upstairs to investigate and when she finally took her hands off her mouth, a whole mess of blood spilled out.

She had bitten through her bottom lip and we knew she'd probably need a stitch or two. Much screaming ensued as we loaded her in the car. I'm unaccustomed to being away from my children for so many hours in a day and my heart was really hurting at the thought of her going to Urgent Care with daddy instead of me, so I said I wanted to go. 

It was not the logical choice to send the pregnant lady who hadn't eaten in hours to Urgent Care (where she would go hours more without eating), leaving behind the one-year-old who really missed Mama, and putting the mother who is phobic of needles in the position of helping her daughter with stitches. Not logical, but hearts are foolish things!

Mary did very well at Urgent Care. ("Hey, I've been here before!") Of course, I was a little worried about Big Brother as I walked her in, her having been in for her hurt arm just two weeks ago and now showing up with a yellowing black eye and smashed up mouth. The doctor asked me about the black eye, which had a perfectly normal explanation, but I worried when later I heard her murmuring about it with another employee.

We did not use glue to close the cut because it was a jagged cut and the doctor said that the mouth area moves so much, it was highly likely Mary would just pop off the dried glue.

The doctor said that a shot of Lidocaine hurts very much so she wanted to try soaking the Lidocaine into the skin for 20 minutes. However, when it came time to clean Mary's wound, it was readily apparent that the Lidocaine had not soaked in to the right place and she had no anesthesia. The doctor told me that since we were doing one stitch, one stitch would hurt less than the shot of Lidocaine, so she advised us to proceed. I have zero experience with stitches so trusted her judgment (and her judgment may well have been correct).

Poor Mary had to endure having her arms strapped down behind her with the nurse pinning down her head and me pinning down her legs while the doctor placed the one stitch. It still takes about a whole minute to get a stitch in, tied, and clipped off! That minute felt long as Mary screamed and begged!

I am now in awe of my mother-friends who I know have had to accompany their children having much more serious, lengthy, and painful procedures. You know who you are. Now I can see that you are in a whole new club of amazing motherhood that I have barely glimpsed. I was positively traumatized by this One Stitch! I am such a softie, still uncalloused by having had very few of this kind of experience.

After I calmed a weeping Mary, got her her prizes from the doctor, and settled us into the car, she announced the need to go potty. We unbuckled, went back inside, and learned that all the restrooms in the Urgent Care had just broken! (A sewer issue?) So I drove Mary quickly over to Target to use the facilities and then buy us some food. It was a humbling moment for me to remember that when we see strangers in public, we do not know their stories. Here I was, having to take Mary into a brightly lit public store with her absolutely covered with blood. Faces bleed a lot. Our wall and floors have blood on them. Mary's hair was matted with blood. Her dress was poured down with blood to the skirt and it had soaked through the thick corduroy to soak her white blouse beneath! I was probably covered in blood too but my black blouse hid it. What people thought of me as mother of the bloody girl with a black eye, I certainly don't know, but I felt so self-conscious!

It is good that Mary's heart desire was for a nasty fake-o doughnut with white frosting and rainbow sprinkles because she did not know that I probably would have given her anything she asked for after the trauma of my pinning her down.

And now we wait to see the fate of one of Mary's teeth. At first we thought they were all okay, but I saw at Urgent Care that one of her teeth was bleeding all around the gum, so the doctor said that either her tooth will be just fine or it will die and turn grey, to be replaced in four years or so with a permanent tooth.

Do you think we can have some kind of padded Michelin Man suit built for Mary to keep her free of injuries for a while?

15 comments:

  1. Oh, Katherine! Poor Mary has had a rough time of it lately, hasn't she? I know what you mean about being sensitive to the eyes of Big Brother. About three summers ago, our youngest, Gabriel, had to get stitches in the back of his head (bizarre accident), then six weeks later fell out of bed in the middle of the night and got a deep gash in his forehead. The nurse kept questioning him about what happened, until finally Gabriel said, "I was asleep! I don't know how it happened!"
    Anyway, about a month later we got a letter from the insurance company asking us to explain how he was injured. In 19 years of parenting, I've only had two occasions of children getting stitches, and they happened to occur in the same summer. Sheesh!

    I hope she feels better soon. And you too! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katherine! That is a real fiasco. Stiches do stink to get, but coming out they are no big deal. And don't worry about the dead tooth. James fell out the back door just after his second birthday and had a grey top front tooth for SIX years. It's makes for a good story and since it is still in it shouldn't change the permanent tooth position.
    Blessings!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica: It would just hurt my vanity, which I'm sure needs some hurting, so to speak. I have already seen my own pride/vanity with Mary having FOUR pieces of silver readily visible in her mouth (crowns and cavities) and now the thought of a dead tooth for years to come on my girlie-girl . . . sigh. Well, God definitely shows me my sins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita: Yes, several personnel asked Mary what happened. There I was having to say that I really didn't know and normally loquacious Mary was too shy to talk. I realize it must be hard to work with children in emergency settings because, on one hand, they do come in with a zillion normal injuries and, on the other hand, they do come in abused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a rough couple of weeks! I feel for both of you, but especially you, Katherine. There is nothing quite like the feeling of holding your child down for stitches---you feel as if you're inflicting the pain when your job is to comfort her. I had to do the same thing for 4 stitches once, and it took a while to get over the guilt!

    I wonder if Mary is growing quickly and losing her ability to control her rapidly changing body? If so, she should get back to normal when she stops, and she can relearn where her center of gravity is.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, poor you and poor Mary! I can imagine the pain of a single stitch to the FACE -- Christina was a brave brave soul when getting her lidocaine in the toe for stitches. She needed 4 shots and that screaming was heard across the urgent care, though she laid still. I cannot imagine having to help hold down my baby for a face injury. :( Well, thank God it's in the past, and it's only healing to look forward to now. Guardian angels, watch over our babies! And THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah: Thanks for your sympathy! I was thinking much of you and Christina's seven stitches! You are so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara: I've had the exact same thought about wondering if Mary is going through a growth spurt. In concert with all these injuries, in the last couple of months I've had to change out her clothing because she's grown in height. I noticed that all her dresses "suddenly" seemed so much shorter, so I swapped them up a size. And just this morning she complained that her bloomers were too short, so we swapped them out for the next size up. So, maybe that is what is going on with all her stumbles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We keep a kiddie potty (the type used for potty training) in our car for just these sorts of situations. Assuming it was just a pee LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Mary, and poor Mama! I hope this is the end of injuries for a while! I wondered about a growth spurt too. Hope she settles in soon, and you have some calmer days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jamie: Yes, I keep a Baby Bjorn Little Potty in my van, but I had taken Chris' car that night so he could drive the other two kids to a restaurant (our stove still not installed). So there I was, without a potty on the go! Aaack!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, poor Mary!!! I was thinking growth spurt too. And stitches without the lidocaine shot gives me a case of the heebie jeebies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katherine, I'm so glad the baby looks happy & healthy! That's always so nice to see. Regarding Mary's tooth, I have some experience with this....on Leo's third birthday, he took a bad fall making his top 2 front tell go into his bottom lip really hard...He was black and blue and looked like he had been beaten. It was awful. And then his top 2 front teeth starting turning grey. I got really concerned, and I had Ben take him to the dentist...the dentist insisted that he'd need to pull them or they might abscess...I talked to some moms on CNML and decided to take a wait and see approach...so glad I did...the teeth healed themselves within a few months and now they're totally white. I'm so glad I listened to my gut and just let them heal!

    ReplyDelete