Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summer Comes to a Close

Summer is drawing to a close, if not the actual season but the time before Kindergarten begins. I feel like a big shimmering bubble floating around, full of exuberance about starting homeschooling "for real." But I know that the bubble that is me has no way to avoid landing on something sharp (like reality) and popping, probably sooner rather than later. Nonetheless, I use my eagerness to fuel me in getting ready.


John and Mary each have a large binder in which I save their best artwork and handwriting. All of John's work has gone into his Pre-K Binder for the last three years and, starting this week, I will put things in his Kindergarten Binder!


I had great fun creating a History Timeline Binder, which I hope will serve us for years. I found a very useful website on timelines and considered the pros and cons of various types of timelines. As much as a wall timeline appeals to me, I have very little vertical wall space in our attic school room, so I chose to make a binder. I used four different colors of card stock for the four periods of history.


My plan is that any time we learn about something from history, we will add a little picture of it on the appropriate page. We have already added the birth of Jesus, Beethoven, and the invention of the steam engine train. John seems very interested in this project. I'd like to add pictures of our various family members to the timeline to show when they were born (pics of the kids, of Mama and Daddy, of the grandparents).


Take a good look at how neat my desk is because I get it this organized about once per year.

It is almost time to throw away the list hanging behind my computer entitled, "Goals for This Summer." I achieved some things on my modest list, but mostly spent the summer gestating, which involved lying horizontally on the sofa.

As excited as I am for Kindergarten tomorrow, John will tell anyone who asks that he is not excited. Of course, the two parents who have planned to homeschool since before they even met have a firstborn who says he isn't excited about school. That reminds me, it is still on my list to buy "Teaching Boys & Other Children Who Would Rather Make Forts All Day"!

7 comments:

  1. Fascinating timeline stuff! Did you buy the figures from that website?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priscilla, I did not buy the figures from that website. They cost something like $30 per set and there are multiple sets. I decided that was just too much money considering how easily I can Google for images and drop them into a Word doc for printing. I'm sure they're really neat though and I think they come with some factoids written out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great first day! The Andrew Pudewa talk is available for free on the Circe Institute site. I was fortunate enough to hear him in person during June at the Hartford Convention. He is a GREAT speaker. I also highly recommend the book he references in the talk. It was VERY eye opening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney: You have been such a wealth of tips for me! May God bless you!

    The Circe Institute looks so interesting and I am going to explore it.

    Here is the free audio library. I am so excited to hear this talk for free.

    http://circeinstitute.org/free-audio/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog! :-) It's encouraging since we're going through so much at the same time!

    If you get a chance to read Boys Adrift or Why Gender Matters, please blog it! Would love a discussion about them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney, I listened to the audio talk last night and it was AMAZING. It confirmed so much of my mothering experience of a boy and a girl. Now I am eager to read Why Gender Matters and Boys Adrift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I saw them and thought they were quite pricey. I'm intrigued and may go ahead and start a timeline of my own. I had thought it came a bit later on, but why not?

    ReplyDelete