Monday, August 6, 2012

First Day of School

When I was growing up, every single year my dad too a photo of me on the first day of school sitting in the same chair. I loved that tradition.

First day of preschool for ages 3-4 

First day of Kindergarten

Without thinking, I scheduled a well-child appointment for John at 11:15 on his first day of homeschooling, so then I was worried we wouldn't finish our work in time. I tried to reschedule, but the next available appointment was a month out, so I didn't make the change. Turns out, I was able to keep us at a properly brisk pace!

We had finished breakfast, dressing, and morning chores in time to start school by 8:00. I did joint preschool and Kindergarten subjects first: music, poetry, nature, and Bible. Then after a three-year-old potty break, I assigned Mary to build stacks of blocks with Margaret while I did Kindergarten work with John: catechism, handwriting, and phonics. Margaret definitely was a difficulty, as she wanted attention and was screaming often (not crying, but screaming in anger). John and Mary weren't cherubic, compliant children, but I gave them a sticker each after each subject and time outs were a possibility for children who were very disruptive, so those two tactics got us through the first day.

At the end, John raced downstairs and announced joyfully to Daddy, "School was fun! It was super fun!"

We were done by 9:30, with time for eating a snack and a whole hour to fill before leaving for John's appointment. Success!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Katherie and Chris, Today I am finally caught up on the blog. Yor kids are experiencing the fullness of life with much love and learning each day. love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiasm. I think I'll try and steal some for myself. I'm petrified of starting homeschooling in two weeks, but you remind me that it can be done. I love your blog and all the encouragement I receive from just reading your posts. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks, Anna! Be encouraged! Of course it can be done. I see moms of many doing a much more daunting job than me. We can do this thing! One thing getting me over fears is I keep saying to myself, "If I think it's totally normal for a woman to occupy 20 Kindergarteners for 6-8 hours, then certainly I can occupy one Kindergartener and two others for an hour and a half."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a successful day! I'm not sure if it's just the computer screen, but John and Mary's outfits look color-coordinated! I'm planning to do first day pictures too with signs for grade and year. I have a dedicated picture frame waiting for them!

    I had to comment about Margaret too. My youngest was very difficult during school from 10 months to about 16 months. The same thing-- lots of crying and screaming in anger for attention. I spent a lot of time nursing him, and getting very creative with ways to keep busy (toddler scissors- lol!) Hang in there, I bet she'll get used to the new routine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Courtney! The kids chose their own outfits: Mary's was pink, John's light orange. The green stick in his pants is his "sword." Never know when you might have to fight off bad guys.

    Thanks for the experience about your youngest. They just aren't that self-directed yet at that age!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for a great first day! I'm getting really excited myself; and that's in no small part thanks to all the help, advice and encouragement you have provided.

    ReplyDelete