Wednesday, July 18, 2012

She Did Not Eat the Toothpaste

Lately John and Mary have had a few opportunities to ask for more explanation about the Catholic understanding of doing voluntary penances, offering sacrifice to God. The kids listen to a lot of saint stories, so Mary's recent question to me was typical of questions I've been asked: "Why did St. Francis of Assisi use a wooden plank for a pillow?"

As an adult, I struggle with understanding the nuances of such sacrifices myself, but I tried something along the lines of: "Well, honey, do you like a nice, soft pillow? So did St. Francis of Assisi. But he decided to give up his soft pillow and use a board instead. That would be really uncomfortable, right? Then he had a gift (his discomfort) to offer to God, and God accepts those as prayers."

I reminded her about a little girl we had read about recently who gave up dessert for three nights for the prayer intention of our local Poor Clare nuns. We've had several of these conversations lately, as the children ask me questions.

Fast forward to this morning: Mary has a li'l problem with eating the flouride-free children's toothpaste. We go through that ridiculously expensive $4 per tiny tube of toothpaste suspiciously fast and I semi-regularly find her hiding behind the toilet sucking down the toothpaste.

But this morning during her morning ablutions, Mary (3-1/2) solemnly volunteered, "Mama, last night I got out of bed. But I did not eat any of the toothpaste. I offered it up to God instead."

And there you go, her first conscious voluntary penance for God. Humorous, but worthy nonetheless! I'm sure God was delighted.

4 comments: