Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Homeschooling Kindergarten

Chris and I knew we planned--life's twists and turns aside--to homeschool our children before we even met each other. I've been attending homeschool conferences since our first child was about four months old and accumulating homeschool resources for all these years. Now, five and a half years after John was born, we are finally embarking on officially homeschooling Kindergarten!

My plan is to start in the first week of August, which allows us to take a more year-round approach: two weeks off for the last week of Advent and Christmas, four weeks off when the baby is born, two weeks off for Holy Week and Easter, and four weeks off for summer.

I have all the enthusiasm and naive high hopes proper to a first-time homeschooling parent. Any dark days of difficulty and self-doubt lie ahead, so I plan to enjoy the nearly pure enthusiasm while I can.

We've designed our own curriculum, which I would love to share. I know in future with more kids in multiple grades, I likely won't share these details on the blog again.

I think Mary will sit in with John for Bible stories, Literature, Poetry, and Nature. I will do some phonics work with her since she has observed John working and taken off writing her letters and knowing some letter sounds already. Then I think John and I will try to do focused school together, particularly for Math and Phonics, in the afternoon when the baby is napping. I'm sure that the pragmatics of how to get schooling completed will come with a serious learning curve for me!

RELIGION

We hope to read two stories per week from The Golden Children's Bible. The idea is to read the story to the child, review it, then the child will illustrate the story. We will assemble the illustrations into John's own Bible.

Catechism lessons will be from Chats with God's Little Ones during the first half of the year. If we need another catechism for the second half of the year, we will probably use the New St. Joseph First Communion Catechism.

MATHEMATICS

We are using Right Start Math Level A.

PHONICS

John had made it through more than half the lessons in Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons before I realized that, for example, the Mother of Divine Grace curriculum has Kindergarteners proceed through only one-third of the book. Easy Lessons itself says that if the child finishes the book, he is reading at a "solid second grade level." I discovered this only weeks before Kindergarten was to begin, so I remain a bit flummoxed about how to proceed so as not to go too slow, but not push him beyond his ability (thinking I'm teaching Kindergarten material that turns out to be first grade or beyond).

We also purchased All About Reading Level 1 and All About Spelling Level 1, with the plan to do AAR first (decoding), then AAS (encoding). The first step in these programs is to ascertain which phonemes the child already knows, and then set about learning the ones he does not know, so the program can proceed at any rate appropriate to the child.

LITERATURE

We're hope to read a zillion books, particularly classic ones.

HANDWRITING

We plan to use Zaner-Bloser Handwriting for Kindergarten, but it seems like a rather slim book, so I'm guessing we will have to proceed to copying edifying sentences later in the year.

POETRY

John will be memorizing poetry, mostly for the training it gives the brain in memorization, secondarily because poetry is edifying and knowing it creates a better writer. One resource for poems is The Harp and Laurel Wreath. The Mother of Divine Grace curriculum suggests that the child take about two weeks to memorize a poem, have the parent copy it down, then the child illustrates it, and save it in his Poetry Book.

Nature and Science

This year we plan mostly to read nature stories and go on field trips, not to begin a formal study of science. Books we plan to read from are: Christian Liberty Nature Reader Book 2, The Stories Mother Nature Told Her Children, Outdoor Secrets, The Burgess Books (Animal, Bird), and Old Mother West Wind.

ART, MUSIC, and FOREIGN LANGUAGE, and OTHERS

We plan to learn songs from Alan Jemison's 36 Traditional Roman Catholic Hymns. I have a lot of other ideas for small unit studies we might do. John will probably still participate in our parish's homeschool co-op on Friday afternoons, taking Art or Chess and being in the Lego Club, and then enjoying free play in the gymnasium after classes.

CATHOLIC SCHOOLHOUSE

One morning per week, John will be attending Catholic Schoolhouse, which is not quite a co-op for homeschoolers (the teachers are hired, not volunteering mothers, which is why it is not a co-op). Each week, the students (age 4 through high-school, broken into age groups) will be learning the same material at age-appropriate levels. If I am really on top of things, I will briefly introduce the material on Mondays and Tuesdays, John will be in class on Wednesdays, and we will review the material on Thursdays and Fridays, which will help him absorb it a lot more than if he sees it merely one morning per week. As an example, in Week 1, the children will learn about:

Saint: St. Cecilia

Latin: how to conjugate "voco"

Fine Arts: bass clef, treble clef, grand staff; Echo Song with B (they will be playing the recorder this year); Featured Art: Minoan Fresco; Concept: Line; Project: Animal Cave Art



History: Ancient Egypt, Creation, Noah's Ark, Sodom and Gomorrah, Fertile Crescent--Cradle of Civilization, First Farming--Sumerian Civilization


Science: Botany

Geography: The continents and oceans

Religion: John 6:47-51

Language Arts: The eight parts of speech

Math: Skip counting



Can you tell that I am excited?


And let me give a huge THANK YOU in advance to Chris who makes it all possible that I can be at home embarking on this educational endeavor.


9 comments:

  1. I'm excited to read all about it! I love reading about first year homeschooling adventures. And wow, I think I am going to be using several of the same books as you.

    I'm planning on using Mater Amabilis curriculum with a bit of Montessori thrown in there so I'll be using Right Start Math.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great - I wouldn't change a thing - unless, of course, you find you need to :-) nothing wrong with changing something up along the way! Also, with new baby due mid-year I'd give yourself the freedom to drop some subjects - you can make them up later. This is a very full curriculum! Go momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your plan! Very similar to ours in some ways. If I work up the motivation, maybe I'll get back into blogging and share! LOL! I'm interested to see how you like RS A and AAR/AAS, especially. We are a little more than halfway through RightStart, and I'm looking at AAS once we hit lesson 140 or so in OPGTR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful plan which you of course have already shared. I have gleaned alot from your plans! I went round and round about Catholic Schoolhouse but I missed the boat! Its all full! I was wondering about joining St. Ann's co op. Do I have to be a parishioner there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really impressive! See, that's just the type of thing that totally intimidates me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your choices are awesome! And you should be excited! This is a very exciting time in your schooling adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I especially like the Literature curriculum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I am homeschooling my young first grader this fall! We are using a lot of the same stuff as you- my sister-in-law Hafsa recommended your blog to me.

    Personally, I would not worry about going through 100 Easy Lessons too quickly. My son went through the whole book by age 4 or so. Having said that, he definitely was not reading at a second grade level after completing the book. We are now using Phonics Pathways as well as a lot of early readers to learn explicit phonics (100 Easy Lessons has a lot of implicit phonics). I'm really enjoying this strightforward phonics book.

    Best of luck in your coming school year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monica: See, I don't even know the difference between explicit and implicit phonics. All I've figured out is that whole word reading is terrible but that teaching "phonics" actually means a wide variety of methods within phonics as a whole. Anyway, I'm loving what I see of All About Reading so far!

    And by going too fast through 100 Easy Lessons, I don't mean too fast in general, but for the child. We started John at 4 but he hit a lot of walls along the way and, even now at 5-1/2, I don't think he could blast through to the end.

    ReplyDelete