Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap


I have found a method of making homemade laundry soap that I like. I tried making powdered laundry soap a long while back, but--despite my usual preference for powdered commercial detergent--I didn't like it because I had to get the powder to melt in hot water before changing the water temperature, if need be, and adding the clothing.

So, last month I tried making liquid laundry soap. I have used up the whole two gallons (64 loads' worth) and found no decrease in the cleanliness of the clothing and cloth diapers. I continued to use my all-time favorite stain remover, Oil Eater Cleaner Degreaser.

My purpose for trying homemade laundry soap is not to be environmentally friendly (have no idea of its environmental impact) or for allergenic purposes (I think it still contains scents), but because it is so much cheaper. One load of this homemade detergent costs one penny, versus the 24 cents per load I pay for Tide Free & Clear liquid, purchased at Costco.

There are several recipes online and I used the one found at The Family Homestead. It was super easy and took about 15 minutes of babysitting, using ingredients now easily found at most grocery stores.

The only tip I'll add is that this product really does require a bucket for scooping. Initially I bought two one-gallon containers that pour, thinking that would be easier, but the soap gels up in a gloppy way that does not permit pouring. I really did need a bucket and scooper.

1 comment:

  1. Tridentine Wife: That I definitely don't know, so you'd want to hunt around and try to find out if homemade soaps are okay in HE machines. Definitely might be problematic.

    ReplyDelete