Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tools For Small Hands

I have a drawer in my kitchen that contains all child-sized cooking implements. Children like to help more when they can do a better job because the tools fit their hands. Recently I picked up a few more tools at the best source I've found so far: For Small Hands.


This doohickey is a multipurpose tools that grates cheese or vegetables (three sizes of graters), separates eggs, juices citrus, and pours liquid.



John won't drink juice, but he'll make it! (He even cut the oranges in half with a small knife.)


Another tool I was so happy to find was a child-sized mop. We had one before that was more of a toy in construction, so it quickly broke, but this mop is sturdy, made of metal and hard wood. John beamed with pride at mopping the floor, exerting effort to squeeze out the water, learning how to mop in stripes and to walk backwards out of a room. (He said, "Hey, this is like vacuuming!") It really is amazing to me to see my firstborn become competent at helping me with useful duties! (Note his tongue sticking out in concentration.)

And, perhaps it wasn't a fluke: Tonight John again asked me if he could skip his 30 minutes of television in order to cook alongside me. The boy likes to cook, so I'm really trying to take time to explain the procedures now and not just give him busywork tasks.

Bonus Pics!


Margaret (8-1/2 months) now crawls anywhere she pleases with speed and stealth. We need to start keeping bathroom doors closed. Why are babies so attracted to standing at the toilet and banging on it?


I don't know who took this photo, but I found a series of photos on my camera of Mary riding on the tricycle without shoes but with socks on her hands.

2 comments:

  1. I love For Small Hands too! I've had my eye on a few things lately too. Enjoy your helpers!

    ReplyDelete