Sunday, December 11, 2011

St. Nick at Art Class

John and Mary are enrolled in an art class every other week in our Catholic homeschool cooperative. It's drippingly Catholic. If I wanted them in a secular art class, I'd have enrolled them in one.

I know this can be a sensitive subject, but . . . imagine my arched eyebrow when at our last meeting the kids were instructed to make a picture of a certain Jolly Red Guy. I was a little bit pleased when my kids were too distracted by that point to make the second project of the day, so they asked me just to gather up the supplies so they could do the craft at home. (I took home everything but the puffballs for his beard.)

When we got home, Daddy asked them, "So, how was art class? What did you make?"

"We made a tree and a face."

"A face? Who was the face?"

"Um, I'm not sure. Well, I think it was St. Nicholas. His feast day was a few days ago, you know."


Therefore, when the kids decided they wanted to make their "faces" at home, they made two St. Nicholases, which are now happily on display.

(This whole episode reminds me of a few months ago when Christmas decorations were already up before Halloween and Mary saw said Jolly Red Guy and informed me cheerfully that those were decorations of Moses.)

3 comments:

  1. That reminds me of the time Art Teacher at our Very Catholic Co-op did an activity on Kwanzaa. There were some Not Very Happy parents! At least Santa is based on St. Nicholas and you can tell them that some people are just confused and have forgotten that he was a real person. Kwanzaa? As far as I know, it's totally made up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! We are talking a lot this year about Santa vs. St. Nick. We are VERY clear about the distinction and that Santa is a fun game. My 5 yo, though, still has been speculating that Santa maybe IS real. We've run into some good deeds lately, and it's been great to talk about acting in the spirit of St. Nick and how we can all be Santa for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The big jolly guy rode through the streets on the back of a fire truck the other night in our town. My kids asked me who he was? What do you say to a 3 and 4 yr old?? I just avoid the whole thing. :)

    Anyway... their St. Nicholas' are very cute!!

    ReplyDelete