Monday, December 19, 2011

Annual Christmas Baking

We have really kind neighbors who help me particularly when Chris is traveling on business, so I try to make sure to do a little Christmas season baking for them, no matter how modest. It's nothing real fancy: we did not even manage to get out the cookie cutters or sprinkles today, nor did I have Christmas-themed paper plates or red plastic wrap, or even red and green ribbons! But it's a gesture of thanks that I can manage.


I was planning to make sugar cookies and got the butter and sugar creamed when I discovered we were out of eggs and the milk man had not delivered any this morning! What to do, what to do? I quickly flipped pages through my cookbook and struck on the first recipe I found that used no eggs: Scottish shortbread! It was my first attempt and they turned out well.

And what to do with that creamed butter and sugar I couldn't use . . . it occurred to me to save it and I'll spread it on the kids' breakfast toast as a special morning treat during this festive few weeks!

3 comments:

  1. Good save! When I needed to bake cookies and we had no whole eggs (just an egg white in the freezer) I tried making coconut macaroons...and failed miserably. They all stuck to the pans.

    I bummed an egg off our neighbors and baked cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete