Friday, November 11, 2011

Grampa Neil Visits Fall 2011


Grampa Neil is visiting from California! (And thank you so much to our family members who are staying with my mom so Neil can come.)






John can color inside the lines!

A few weeks ago, we were at the homeschool co-op art class and the mother teaching that day has mostly boys among her seven. As she walked by John coloring something with his wild, meaningless scrawl all over the picture, she said affectionately, "I love how boys color." I asked, "So, this is typical?" She said, oh yes, boys usually don't start coloring with purpose and neatly till a couple of years older. Then we looked at my Mary sitting next to John, two years younger than him and doing a decent job already of staying inside the lines and coloring things on purpose, and the other mother and I chuckled at the girlishness of it all.

So, imagine my surprise when John found a color-by-numbers coloring book and asked me how it worked. I explained and he proceeded to color code the key before very neatly coloring in all the areas of the car drawing.


What a great job! I guess it wasn't a matter of lack of fine motor skills, but that coloring in the lines wasn't important to him.

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Mary feeling Grandpa Neil's beard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma isn't big into coloring. She'd much rather write words and do math. Her best coloring effort recently was a bar graph that showed quantities of M&M colors... Unless there's a "point," she's just not interested. Color by numbers is one she will do neatly too. Maybe it's the more "logical" mind at work?

    ReplyDelete