Monday, September 12, 2011

Museum and Playground Day

Today we intended for John to attend the first in a series of once monthly science courses for homeschoolers at Discovery Place Museum. Unfortunately, the flyer for the "Ocean Adventures" class that said in writing that the class would be "first come, first serve" apparently really meant, "you must call the museum ahead of time to reserve a spot." All the other children had a reservation except mine, so we decided to wander around the museum for two and a half hours instead--which was loads of fun! And John was so mature and stoic about his disappointment regarding this class I had built up so much.






I had to chuckle watching Mary and a similarly aged boy building at one table: they were at the level of simply sorting. So they took all the building supplies and stacked big squares together, little squares together, right triangles together, isosceles triangles together . . .
Meanwhile, John and another similarly aged boy were at another table building ornate buildings with their supplies. Wonderful to see the different phases!
Margaret hung out with me the whole time.


After dinner, we intended to join the first meeting of a homeschoolers' group playing kickball at a local recreation center. However, something happened: maybe I went to the wrong place or nobody showed up, I just don't know! But, again, I was so touched at John's response to disappointment. With no kickball to play, I let the kids play on the playground, where they played "pirate" for half an hour.


2 comments:

  1. Tridentine Wife: Well, I sure would be anxious with twins and I'd be going out rarely until they were a lot easier to control/keep safe. John at almost 5 is very well behaved. Mary at almost 3 is finally starting to respond to my voice, which is critical when I'm sitting in a busy museum, nursing the baby, and Mary is on the loose. I have to know that she'll come back to me right away when I call! The age of toddlers bolting is so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnatiles one a light panel is one of our most-used toys! I love that Lego wall too! What a great place to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete