Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Changing of the Guard

In the spring and in the fall, I am daunted by planting fresh annuals, but it's never quite as difficult as I think it will be. Three kids to the nursery for an hour and a half yesterday plus three kids helping me plant for an hour and a half this morning = lovely plants for me to enjoy for months.

The Begonia (pink this year) are always successful in our yard.



I replaced the Begonia with Violas in maroon, gold, and a bicolor of maroon and gold.


I bought this Hypearls 'Renu' Hypericum spontaneously because the bright berries charmed me. I've been looking for something low and unassuming to fill in the area beneath our kitchen window (empty since we ripped out the very poorly located Camelia). Perhaps this shrub, which should grow to 30" high, will do nicely (and I might add a second).

This has been our summer front entrance.


The coral bells are perennial, but we have an unknown creature (deer? rabbit?) that denudes the plant several times each summer. The red geranium behind is an annual in this climate but it didn't do well in this spot so I won't plant it again.
I was very pleased with the way the various Coleus flourished and will definitely repeat that planting again for spring. I'll remove the Coleus from the pots when they get sparse and leggy, probably next month.
On each side of the walk, I planted two red mums (still budded--not in full bloom, with the plants stressed out and facing a very short life, as sold at most stores). The geranium had some life left in it, so I moved it forward to provide color for a few more weeks before I yank it.


This is the front entrance going into fall (with the kids examining their worm collection).
My three Lantana at the top of the driveway haven't given me a good bloom yet, so I sure hope to see their cheery "confetti" color before they die in the winter.


We have a row of Abelia along the driveway that were being sheared for years. I'm trying to restore their proper arching shape, which will probably take a few years.


I stumbled upon Oxalis 'Charmed Wine' and was utterly charmed myself. Such a gorgeous purple color in interesting geometric shapes with snowy white blooms! I planted the two in my chartreuse green Creeping Jenny along the path through the back yard (you can see Vinca minor on the other side of the path).

I think they are so striking that I want to whiz back to the store to buy the last few they had in stock!


My beautyberries have their first purple berries! I've wanted beautyberries since I moved to the South and I planted two last year, spending all winter assuring Chris that the bare sticks poking out of the ground would grow into something beautiful.

The chokeberry is growing . . .


. . . as is the Silky Dogwood. All three of these plants should provide fall berries for the birds (and all the berries in our yard are non-toxic for humans, although I do teach the kids to "leave them for the birds!").

No comments:

Post a Comment