Monday, July 18, 2011

Getting to Know Margaret

My (and our) parenting styles have shifted and evolved over four and a half years, as I'm sure they'll continue to do in all the years to come. In the beginning, I strongly identified myself as practicing Attachment Parenting. I have come to reject that label, even though I still do a lot of "AP practices" during the baby year(s). I don't like to apply the label to myself anymore because there are too many practices I see, either properly within AP or done by AP parents, with which I don't agree.


So, here I am, just a parent without a label. One thing Chris and I definitely never did was let our babies cry.


And then came Margaret.

She has always tolerated only me. She is almost four months old and now sometimes lets her own Daddy hold her for all of ten minutes before the crying starts. Even with me, she has been a "colicky" baby (whatever colicky means, nobody can really agree). Colic is generally supposed to end by three months old, and here she had passed that mark and was still regularly having screaming sessions of 30 and 45 minutes, numerous times a day, screaming like her life depended on it. She was crying two to three hours per day cumulatively.

I have come to see that different parents have different degrees of resources. I had more resources for soothing my baby when I had only Mary and John, and still more yet when I had only John. I have more resources than some other mothers, for example, how I was raised, that I have a husband, that my husband is supportive, that we have a stable income, that I get to be a homemaker, and so forth. Resources dictate a lot about parenting practices. I have fewer resources when Chris is traveling for business than when he is home.

So, one day Margaret was 45 minutes into a screaming stretch and I'd spent the whole time trying every soothing technique under the sun while my other kids needed me and I couldn't get to them . . . and for the first time in all my parenting, I set down my screaming baby (in her Pak N Play) and walked away.

Miss Margaret fell asleep.

So the next day, I decided to try this radical new experiment. The moment Margaret seemed to be moving out of her quiet wakeful state to a tired state (showing slight fussiness), I'd take her upstairs, put her in her Pak N Play in a dark room, and leave. She'd cry for one or two minutes (I watched the clock) and sometimes not even one little peep: I'd put her down wide awake, she'd let out a relaxed sigh, close her eyes, and go to sleep. At bedtime, she does seem to cry pretty consistently for four whole minutes, probably due to the fact that, by the end of the day, a baby is her most tense and overtired.

Her cumulative crying dropped immediately from two to three hours per day to 15-30 minutes per day.

As last week's experiment proceeded, I thought so much about Margaret's prior behavior and her new behavior. It is my interpretation that she is easily overstimulated. In order to fall asleep, she needed to be left alone. I would see that she was tired and start "soothing" her in ways that soothed my other babies, but were bothering her and keeping her awake, so she'd scream louder and in a more panicked way. She had grown not even to like my sling much. If I put her in my sling when she was alert, she was fine. But if I put her in my sling when she was tired, she'd stand up in it, scream, fight me, and struggle.

Margaret still hates the car. We drove to Atlanta last weekend and she screamed almost the entire four-hour drive. I was an absolute wreck by the time we arrived. Indeed, she screamed the hour's drive to the party we attended and the hour's drive home, the 45 minutes to Mass on Sunday, and most of that drive home. Margaret hates the car.


Coming home from Mass, it occurred to me that maybe she was being overstimulated by the scenes flying by outside the window. If while at home she needed to fall asleep in a quiet, dark room, what was the car doing with all its noise, movement, and visual stimulation? That first time, I grabbed my black Maya Wrap and made a tent for Margaret. Immediately she calmed enough to fall asleep over the next few minutes. So, for our four-hour drive home to Atlanta, I borrowed a dark-colored towel to make a tent for Margaret. She went from fussiness immediately to calm and fell asleep all by her little self.

I've now pieced together that if Margaret becomes overwrought with stimulation, then she can't calm down easily, whether by herself or with my help. In the last week, I saw that when I tried to go on an evening mothers' night out, I saw it at an anniversary party on Saturday (at a restaurant where Margaret couldn't stand the hustle and bustle, so I spent most of my time walking a crying baby), and at an afternoon party at my in laws' home on Sunday (every time I got M. calmed again, someone would make eye contact with her and that would set her off to crying again). My first two babies, I seem to recall, lulled pretty easily amidst hustle and bustle as long as they were in my sling. This baby: not at all!

I feel like I have such a happier baby on my hands! Margaret's new routine is to wake and nurse immediately, plus nurse happily a couple more times during her alert, wakeful time. During her wakeful time she is full of giggles and smiles. Margaret likes being in my sling as long as we're going somewhere and she's alert, but really her preference is to be held loosely in my lap. She almost never nurses right before going to sleep. It seems that even nursing is too overstimulating for her by the time she is tired, and it would contribute to her screaming. Do you know how weird that is for me as mama and La Leche League leader? Don't all babies fall asleep while nursing? Apparently not! So, as soon as she is tired, we don't nurse, but I do sway her a little, sing a song, tell her I love her and to go night-night, and I walk out. And within one to two minutes, she's asleep, sometimes without having made a single peep. I feel like she and I are much more in tune with each other now.


And that's what it is all about, right?


Now I get to live with the feelings of regret of how I sat in judgment of other mothers who told me about their babies crying before falling asleep. I'm not saying I recommend "crying it out" as a training method, even with a baby who does not want to fall asleep that way. But I no longer see it as a black-and-white situation and I know I judged very unfairly some situations that were probably similar to Margaret's. And how do I know how many resources individual mothers had for soothing screaming babies? In other situations, I didn't believe certain mothers who told me they could lay down their happy babies and walk away.


I'm so curious to get to know little Margaret as she grows up! Will she mature out of this oversensitivity within a couple of years? Will she always be our delicate girl? Who knows, but I look forward to finding out!

14 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm glad to hear that you and Margaret have come to a better understanding now. :) I too have been surprised by Clara who seems to definitely prefer sleeping lying down (e.g. she nurses happily in my arms upon waking, but fights being in my arms if tired; she will sleep in the sling, but not as long as when she is lying down and really seems to want to get out if she's been in a while) and I have also found that she too can fall asleep "by herself!" I've been wondering if I've changed or if she's really different (probably both)... out of necessity, I had to leave her at times by herself, sometimes crying, sometimes not and when I came back to her, found she had fallen asleep! I think I used to watch Joseph and probably scoop him up and the first little twitch, so who knows if he ever would have done the same? (Also in the same boat never believing moms who said they could lay their babies down and they would fall asleep and judging others when I don't really know what their situation is.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great!! Clever of you to clue in to the fact that Margaret needs very little stimulation and to fashion a cover in the car. I suppose that is the advantage of the infant carrier over the convertible car seat: the infant carriers have the shade cover.

    Lucy is supposed to have very little stimulation since she is a preemie. Let me tell you how hard that is in our small house and with the fact that I can't just send them outside here. Then they just love her to pieces, so if she's awake they literally want to be in her face all the time. I do have to feed her, change her and swaddle her back up then put her back in her bed to cut down on the stimulation. The days where we have a lot set her back a little and she'll sleep more and eat less the next day. Even nursing is quite stimulative. We are working through it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley: That is so interesting about how preemies need to have little stimulation. That makes a lot of sense, and I can imagine just how hard that is in your bustling and small household full of love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really amazing and I am sure SUCH a relief!! This is how my Ben was...well not really an issue with stimulation but he much preferred to be left alone. And he would fuss for a few minutes and then take a good long nap. Anna I still haven't figured out (I swear this girl is an utter mystery to me...and 10 days until she is 2...I will never get her LOL). Both babies I have always been able to put down to bed while awake. And I most certainly count it as a BLESSING!! Little Margaret always looks so content and peaceful in your pics btw! Ohh and as for colic (and I don't say this to make you nervous), but Anna was super fussy/unsettled until she was close to a year old. I know why now, but it was maddening in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tridentine Wife: I think of sibling-twin differences when you write on your blog sometimes. I had a dear friend with fraternal twin boys. One was clearly a night owl and one was clearly an early bird. It was clear when they were mere months old and has remained true for years and years. It drove her mad in those early months and years because their sleep schedules were off by a couple hours and she couldn't change their internal clocks. Their personalities were really different too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine, I love this post!! You're so smart to recognize what works for Margaret and you, even though it's different from what worked with John and Mary. I think you know Theo had colic and sensitivities, and I used to get so frustrated when people would tell me I needed to hold him more, because I KNEW he wasn't happy being held. I quickly learned that he was far happier being put down on his own. He seemed to like knowing that Chris or I was near, but as for being held, he didn't want any part of it unless it was for nursing. (He was almost two years old before he really started to like any form of cuddling.) And as for baby slings/carriers--no way. Every time we'd try one for the first six months, he'd scream bloody murder and not calm down.

    I remember so well at his cousin's first birthday party (Theo was 11 months), he just shrieked and screamed horribly, so I took him out of the room. But my husband's family kept crowding him to try to "help," and he'd start screaming all over again. I knew the stimulation was just too much for him, but no one would listen to me. I even got grief for leaving the room, and I thought, "Would you prefer I had stayed and let my screaming infant disrupt the birthday boy's party??" It was one of the low points of my parenting life, I must say....

    Theo's three now, and he is much, much better but still doesn't care for big crowds/commotion. He's apt to go off on his own to play, and he covers his ears when there's too much stimuli. My MIL thinks he's "shy," but I know that's not the case--he's actually very outgoing, as long as the situation isn't overwhelming.

    Interesting about the car. When I was a baby, I was diagnosed with "extreme sensitivity to all stimuli," and the pediatrician told my Mom to put my car seat on the floor of the car, because the lights and noise from the cars whizzing by sent me into fits of screaming. Now, in the '70s, this was accepted, whereas now we know it to be unsafe! But I think you're so smart to have found a solution for Margaret.

    So here I am 37, and I'm still sensitive to some stimuli (certain frequencies of sound and large groups of people crowding too close to me), but obviously I am able to "deal" and live a completely normal life. I think some of us are just born more sensitive than others, but we adapt. A fascinating book I read on this said that's exactly what happens--we learn to adapt and cope, and eventually all is well. But we sometimes need a bit of help as kids. :-)

    Anyway, I know what you're going through, and bravo to you for finding good solutions! I'm secretly hoping that #2 for us will take more after his calm daddy in the "sensitivity" area....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy for you! I know it must be an enormous relief for you to have figured out this piece of Margaret the puzzle.

    Malcolm also hates the car and I think I will try the towel trick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that you figured this out now! It took us over 6 months to discover that our oldest was the same way. She was almost always calm and or asleep with less than 5 min of crying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you've figured out what works! To me, there is a world of difference between a baby that needs to settle for a moment and *forcing* a baby to sleep in a way he isn't comfortable. My middle son went through a stage from 2-6 months or so where he went to sleep like Margaret. As a newborn he would scream if anyone else would look at him too (so glad to hear I'm not the only one with a baby like that). So easily overstimulated. He grew out of both those, and still happily co-sleeps at a week shy of 3, but it is a challenge when you think you've got this baby thing figured and then one changes it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh WOW! What a change...I can only imagine how much more peaceful you must feel now that she cries less! Good job deducing all this, Mama!

    So, now you know how to help her be calmer at home during the day and when driving in the car. But what can you do to help her when you're out and about running errands and attending events/gatherings?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The solution was hard to figure out, but what a great and easy answer once you did!! You are an amazing mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courtney: Yes, it's occurred to me that this could be a phase. In fact, it seems to me that most everything with sleep is just a phase that lasts a few months and then the kids "change it up"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frances: I don't have any good solutions yet for how to make errands easier for Margaret. I'm now making her a towel tent on her car seat. I'd like to try her in an infant seat to see if she likes that better than the convertible seat, but we haven't bought one yet.

    Mostly, I try not to take her anywhere! I do my grocery shopping online so all I have to do is go through a drive-through to pick it up (and she cries both ways). I've even done some of my errands that are near to the house when she is asleep and the babysitter is here (at her regular times), so I can leave the baby. I order everything I can online (e.g., Amazon). I try not to go on fun outings unless Daddy can come with us (e.g., on weekends).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree about not labeling myself "AP" either. I despise labels! They put people in boxes, and we weren't meant to live in boxes. Anyhow, at the same time, what you are doing is being attentive to your baby's needs! I strongly believe that is not anything to do with the "Cry it out" approach. Its just that Margaret's needs weren't what you thought they were! And a wonderful insight about how she gets over stimulated and can't calm herself down, nor allow you do. I agree with Sarah, too....with my first, I would practically watch her and scoop her up the first sound she made. NOT the case with my 3rd...it simply wasn't possible, nor necessary, as I soon realized:)

    ReplyDelete