Monday, January 10, 2011

Homemade Pillowcases

I completed my first project with the new sewing machine: pillowcases for the children! I saw this moon fabric in the store and the idea of pillowcases jumped into my head. I didn't have a pattern, but figured this one was actually simple enough for me to figure out on my own, which I did. The first pillowcase took about an hour and a half because I was constructing a pattern (in my head) and learning features on my machine simultaneously. The second case took only 30 minutes.


My machine is not an embroidery machine, but it does come with one alphabet stitch pattern. John at four is fascinated with his own name right now, so he was really excited to see it on his pillow. I told him the hearts were by his name because Mama loves him.



For anyone who wants to try making a pillow case, it takes exactly one yard to make a standard case. If you use a complementary fabric for the folded part, then it is 3/4 yard of the main fabric, 1/4 yard of the complementary fabric.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you are having a lot of fun with your new machine! I love readnig about your projects- they are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that info! I've actually been thinking about making pillowcases one day... :)

    ReplyDelete