Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Feeling Improvement

She's vertical, dressed in day clothes, and eating breakfast! I woke up on the mend and decided to take a 24-week belly shot. If you can't tell, John is posing to show his belly too.

We have been cooped up in the house and John has been really patient about how many times I had to say 'no' to his requests, so I tried to do fun stuff today while still taking it easy and not going out in public. We played in the back yard, where it was very cold. After this photo was taken, Mary climbed into the wagon full of ice and went "ice skating" for quite a while.

John asked for some school time and to learn a new word: he chose "FOX."

Then we tried out the Kumon maze workbook: John completed 34 mazes before I made him stop! Yikes, he's going to use up these workbooks too quickly!

My sweet perfectionist would trace the maze with his finger before using crayon and would say, "Mama, if I get the crayon here [on the black line], it will be an accident, not on purpose, okay?" So poignant! I'm going to have to learn how to work with his temperament, and I think it will involve a relaxed approach, bathing him in praise, and being very cautious with correction.


Then we built a gingerbread man using a $4 kit from Trader Joe's. I give it an A+ for convenience but a C for flavor. I didn't want the hassle of baking and cooking a whole tray of gingerbread cookies for only two kids, but retrospectively I realized that I could have easily baked one big cookie and decorated that, just like in the kit--and it would have had much more flavor!



After eating dinner (my first post-illness food more bland than bread!) and reading from the Jesse tree for Advent (during which my two-year-old decided it was time to strip naked and run around the room), I let the kids watch the first half of the very long Mary Poppins movie. I don't think we've ever let the kids watch a movie, pajama-clad, right before bed, so it was a novel treat for them.

4 comments:

  1. I love that Gingerbread man

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - you look great for 24 weeks! I always felt like a whale on the move - you look small! (In the your-baby-is-healthy-but-you-carry-it-well type of way...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can rip out the pages an put them in sheet protectors or laminate them! That's what we've done with our Kumon tracing and maze books. Plus, the dry erase markers or crayons are a huge hit! Usually they're off-limits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Katherine, I am thrilled you are feeling better. And, you look simply beautiful. Sorry the gingerbread man didn't taste good... it sure looked good! :-)

    ReplyDelete