Monday, November 8, 2010

Lincoln Day 2

The hotel offered a wonderful, no-additional-cost hot breakfast. I was so grateful that my kids are of the age (and Mary is of the temperament) that I could set them at a table near the breakfast buffet and then leave them there while I'd make at least a half dozen trips back and forth bringing over all our food. They'd actually sit still and wait for me!



One of the family projects was assembling an aesthetically beautifully and incredibly touching book of memories of Grampa's life.

This was the Big Surprise! My stepdad Neil flew from California, being able to find care for my mom for a 24-hour visit! (So, my mom is Neil's wife and Grampa's daughter.) I was in on the surprise ahead of time and it was so hard not to share the news. I don't think my grandparents could possibly have been more surprised.




John had so much fun running around--playing chase and "shooters"--with his boy cousins.


All sticks are "shooters" (guns) these days even though John has had virtually no exposure to guns.

Big cousin Ethan flew John around with his stick-shooter while they chased cousin Eli.


Toasting Grampa before the dinner catered with barbeque



We obtained a real postman's uniform, hats, and badges, so the youngest members of the family dressed up to deliver about 40 birthday cards that had been sent to Grampa (care of one of his daughters, so they would be a surprise).



Singing "Happy Birthday"


1 comment:

  1. What a neat idea to wear postman uniforms and deliver letters! It looks like a very special day for your Grandfather!

    ReplyDelete