Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Oatmeal Crackers

Today I tried my hand at making oatmeal crackers.



Somehow my pantry now contains three canisters of oatmeal (66 ounces!) when none of us really eat oatmeal. Chris and the kids prefer instant oatmeal packets, and even then don't eat it often. I don't prefer oatmeal (too mucilaginous) and would rather have a 10-grain hot cereal. So I'm trying to figure out how to use up my oatmeal in ways that aren't utterly loaded with sugar. Have a smidgen of oats with that sugar . . .



Thus: Oatmeal Crackers from Fannie Farmer

2-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

1/2 cup cold water

salt to taste


Preheat oven to 275. Stir 2 cups of oatmeal together with water until dough holds together in a mass. Sprinkle work surface with 1/4 cup oatmeal. Use rolling pin to roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough in half, place each half on one ungreased cookie sheet. Score crackers into 1-1/2 inch squares. Lightly sprinkle salt on top. Bake for 30 minutes, turn over, bake for 15-20 more minutes. Let cool and break into individual crackers.

These were very easy to make. Now, they don't taste like commercial butter crackers or anything. The recipe itself describes them as "crisp and very coarse with a nutlike taste." I like to say that this sort of thing "tastes like health." It's not bad, such that I'd spit it out, but I certainly wouldn't have cravings for oatmeal crackers. That said, John loves them and that thrills me, as eating cream cheese on crackers is a mainstay of his diet. And if he's going to live on grains, I'd like to vary the grains away from Wheat All The Time. (The store bought cracker he currently enjoys is Doctor Kracker--very healthy!) I'm so happy to get oats into John without a concomitant several teaspoons of sugar. I am wondering if I could add some fat (butter?) to these crackers: would they still hold together? They would certainly taste better.


Also, note the yogurt cream cheese sold by Bruegger's Bagels. We just discovered this and I'm so pleased because it has a superior nutritional profile to regular cream cheese.

Regular cream cheese (2 tbsp):
90 calories
fat 8 g (saturated 5 g)
carbohydrates 4 g
sugars 1 g
protein 2 g
calcium 4% DV
Yogurt cream cheese (2 tbsp):
60 calories
fat 3.5 g (saturated 2 g)
carbohydrates 3 g
sugars 3 g
protein 5 g
calcium 8% DV

9 comments:

  1. I have a great recipe for baked oatmeal I'll have to give you! It is one of my faves and I will never go back to porridge style oatmeal again! I liken it to a bread pudding texture. Sort of spongey and cakey. It's got 4 eggs in it, chopped apples, 1/2 C honey (or maple syrup), coconut oil, raisins or craisins and calls for 2.5 cups of oats. It makes 16 servings and it reheats beautifully for a quick and easy no-prep breakfast!

    That is cool that Brueggers sells yogurt cream cheese! Have you ever tried making your own? Then you could skip the sweetener all together if you liked and season it however you want. All you have to do is strain plain yogurt (store bought or homemade) in a cheesecloth or coffee filter and voila you have yogurt cream cheese! You can use the left over whey as liquid in baked goods or cooking. I use it primarily for innoculating naturally fermented veggies and condiments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I really LIKE old-fashioned (not instant) oatmeal. But now I'll forever think of it as mucilaginous. Thanks for that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to John for his dietary expansion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always hated oatmeal for the same reason. I LOVE steel cut oats. It is not the same at all.
    Try toasting them in the butter before adding water, they are magical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Wood: Sarah Faith also recommended baked oatmeal to me, so I'd like that recipe. So, is yogurt cream cheese nothing more than strained yogurt? It's not some yogurt-cream cheese combination?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everybody: I would just like to point out that Sarah Faith just had her sixth child--a gorgeous daughter--yesterday evening and is here commenting on my blog at four the next morning. ;P She just doesn't miss a beat anymore, she's got this "newborn thing" down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Ha ha Katherine. Having a laptop helps. I was up nursing the baby and trying to ignore the afterbirth pains!

    Sounds like your friend Sarah Wood and I would get along great. We also lactoferment and make our own yogurt and cream cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can also make peanutbutter balls. They are a favorte in our house. Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah Faith: Yes, you and Sarah Wood would get along and eat together just fine!

    And everyone should know that Sarah Faith suggested yogurt cream cheese to me a year ago and I poo-pooed the idea. ;P

    ReplyDelete