Monday, November 23, 2009

The Walls Have Ears

John's attention is becoming acute and Chris and I are realizing that we have to monitor our speech and speech around us even more carefully. In the last week, there were two illuminating incidents. First, we were driving down the road listening to talk radio when John asked me, "What does such-and-such mean?" I forget the word he had picked up on, but it was a big word and I repeated it back to him, totally confused. I asked where he heard that word and he said, "From the man talking on the radio." Second, we were eating at a restaurant when John asked me, "Mama, am I in trouble?" I was concerned and said, of course not, and what was he talking about?! He said, "The song in the ceiling." The song over the restaurant's speakers that had just concluded was something about "trouble" being repeated over and over. It's scary to me how carefully John listens! I know I can't say this much longer, but for now I will keep expressing my amazement that he is not even three years old and asking such pertinent questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment