Friday, October 23, 2009

First Invention

The other day John made what might be his first invention: a device to open a door without actually touching the door knob. He tied a piece of string to the door and then showed me and Mary how one would pull on it and the door should just open.

Except that it didn't.

This invention really touched my heart because I remember long hours as a child spent trying to invent this exact thing: a device that would let me open my door from my bed without having to get up. I would tie strings and work pulleys, but my child's mind never overcame that little problem of getting the door knob to turn.

Anyway, John is entering a whole new phase of plotting, planning, and have ideas. He is becoming quite creative, which is really delightful. Simultaneously, I am seeing him start to learn about justice and fairness--although, of course, only when he feels slighted. (The other day when he did an injustice against his sister, he explained to me that she was "not a person," but "just a baby.") I am excited to think about how his learning to think up his own solutions and new awareness of justice and morality will allow us to start to use really creative discipline, to let him make more choices or come up with his own discipline solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment