Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Skirt Mama Can't Wear

I have sewn my first item of clothing: a skirt! Trying to learn to sew overwhelms me. When I read through the instructions on this McCalls 4258 skirt, I felt like I was reading Greek. Nonetheless, I forged ahead, calling my Aunt Stella (seamstress extraordinaire) with questions often.

The first problem I encountered was that I didn't have enough fabric. The envelope says that the pattern in my size requires 2-1/4 yards of fabric, so I asked for 2-1/2 yards. I preshrunk the fabric and when I laid out the pattern, discovered that I didn't have anywhere near enough fabric. It is possible that the fabric cutter shorted me unintentionally. I was forced to cut with the grain instead of on the bias (that means "diagonally" for people like me, who didn't know until yesterday was the bias was). This would mean that the skirt wouldn't flow and swing as beautifully, but at least I would have a skirt.

Here is my beautiful skirt in a sable colored linen with light beige embroidered polka dots.

My neat hem:
The zipper was incredibly difficult for a beginner like me to figure out. It looks invisible and neat:
And yet I completely messed up! Somehow--I don't understand it--the zipper extends about an inch and a half above the waist. Any chance I can take the skirt to my friend Sarah (also seamstress extraordinaire) to check it in to the Sewing ICU for zipper repair?

Even if we get the zipper fixed, I won't be wearing this lovely skirt. It doesn't fit . . . by a lot. I have now learned that on the flap of the pattern's envelope one can find how many inches the pattern maker believes any given size to be. McCall's size whatever is five inches smaller than what I find in the stores. I'd have to lose a lot of weight before I'd fit into this skirt. In fact, I have discovered that McCall's does not even make this pattern in a large enough size for a woman of my girth. Well, I'll be!
I guess it's back to the sewing store to buy more fabric and try again!

8 comments:

  1. That is funny... especially considering hand-made clothes have a reputation of being way big... even if you do go by their measurement/ sizing guidelines ;)
    (running away....)
    I am sure there was a mistake made somewhere along the way... ;)
    But good for you for completing it anyway! I have never made anything for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will help you if you want. Come over anytime. It's a madhouse anyway.

    Elaine -- I haven't heard from you in ages! Come out of the woodwork! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, btw regarding what elaine said about hand made clothes being big, I think that is mainly b/c the patterns nowadays are built so BOXY and not fitted. All patterns are made for the same size bust. 30 years ago you had to select a pattern based on your actual inches measurement. None of this "multi size pattern" stuff. That is why they pretty much all need to be tailored/altered before you make them, if you want them to fit nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for all the comments but I keep thinking of more stuff. I forgot to mention you did a beautiful job on the skirt. And, I love your fabric choice. You must have had fun picking it out. Brave girl to try the whole project all by yourself.

    And also I am laughing about your use of the word "girth," making it sound like you are some fat lady. LOL. ;-)

    I enjoyed doing the tab zipper but mine came out weird too, even though I hand stitched it, it doesn't lay quite right along the side but kind of puckers. Did you use the view with the waistband, or the one with the facing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine, I'm WAY impressed. The skirt is beautiful and I'm inspired by your honest report!

    I sewed a pillow in 8th grade but have since decided that taking up the art is beyond my dedication level.

    Now I'm thinking, "well, if Katherine can do it...Maybe..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah: Thanks for the compliments!

    I used the word "girth" because McCalls must think ladies like me are so fat that all we deserve to wear are bedsheets wrapped into a toga. Harumph.

    I used the interfacing, not the waistband. I thought it would be simpler, although now I'm not sure. Which did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon: Give sewing a try! It has been overwhelming for me at points. I did take a several-month sewing class a few years ago. I'd forgotten most of what I'd learned, but with study and questions directed at experienced seamstresses, I was able to resurrect some knowledge from the recesses of my brain. I'm finding that I'm learning the most by making mistakes than by reading directions and getting it right the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. to Sharon: One of the main reasons I'm trying to learn how to sew is to be able to sew modest clothing for any future girls God sends us. You know that it is nigh impossible to find girls' summer dresses WITH sleeves in the stores!

    ReplyDelete