Friday, December 29, 2006

Our Delightful Doula!

Our doula Guina at my pospartum visit on Friday, December 29:


Guina holding John minutes after his birth on December 4:




Today, Friday, we had our postpartum appointment with my doula, Guina (pronounced gee-na), who belongs to a group of local doulas called Labor of Love. A doula is a woman who helps the laboring woman through her labor, but does not provide medical services; she is a coach, a coach to the coach (the husband), and an expert in childbirth, sort of like an auntie or a granny.

We cannot imagine what my labor would have been like without Guina. She came earlier than she normally would have just to coach me through having the IV inserted in my arm because of my needle phobia. She helped guide Chris and me through the hospital experience, with which we were both unfamiliar. She was so gentle and loving in helping me through the scariest, most intimidating experience of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment