Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Seeing the Sunflowers

Today we left the house! Since Thomas's cancer diagnosis five weeks ago, the little kids and I have barely left the safety of our four walls. Dad and the older kids aren't exactly keeping up a hopping social calendar, but they are still attending Mass and going to John's hockey, as well as Chris doing our few errands for us. Otherwise, Thomas and I have been frequent fliers only at the oncology clinic and children's hospital.

Since we saw Thomas's blood numbers on Monday and knew they were back on the way up, I decided to take us on an adventure today that I judged prudent: We visited Draper Wildlife Management Area to see the sunflower fields. There is actually a visceral fear in taking my child on chemotherapy anywhere off this property, so this was an intentional baby step for me.




Chemo + sun + SPF80 + sun hat




Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer

My mother's favorite flowers were sunflowers, so she was on my mind today. She died eight years ago.
 

Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer


Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer

Photo credit: John Lauer

The sunflower fields at Draper are at the end of their beauty this week, but I read that the other sunflower fields around Charlotte will bloom in August and make wonderful visiting opportunities.

Thomas drew this tractor . . . 


In other news, I threw out my back today when I stepped on a metal baseball bat, lying on the garage floor, it rolled, and I slipped and over-corrected. The pain and limited mobility allows me something to offer up for a special intention and I am grateful that my life is such that I can tolerate a messier house and tasks undone while I lay on the sofa or bed and call out instructions to my mostly-trying-to-listen-to-me older kids. Not every woman has it so good!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you could all have a lovely outing amid the stressful things in your life. Your son has a wonderful eye for photography - those pictures are amazing. I think my favorites are the white flower and the one of his siblings' piggyback ride.
    May your back heal up quickly! Relax and trust your children to get necessary things done. You've done a wonderful job raising them to be helpful and responsible, and they can handle many household jobs. And if somethings don't get done, so be it. Situations like this help one figure out what is really important in one's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, I'm a long time reader of your blog. I am also a traditional Catholic wife and homeschooling mother. It is such a joy to have a peek into the life of such a beautiful family. You inspire me! I just got caught up last night after not reading for a few weeks. My heart was broken to read of Thomas' diagnosis. Be assured of my prayers for Thomas, for you and for your family. I will also continue to pray for Chris' mother's recovery. I will be at Adoration today, where I will pray for both of them. I also pray your back heals up quickly! God Bless you and your family!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete