Saturday, May 9, 2020

Hauling Rocks (Day #56 Phase I)

Saturday, Day #56 Phase I of Reopening

We request continued prayers for my husband's mother D. She has been sick with COVID-19 for six weeks (now negative, but still sick) and is now out of ICU and recovering at a long-term, acute care facility. She is still on a ventilator with tracheotomy. We have not shared many, many very dark days of updates for the last six weeks, but I will share that Chris got to Facetime with his Mom on Saturday and she was laughing and rolling her eyes at jokes, mouthing her words clearly to respond, waving, and lifting her hand to show us the rosary she was clutching. Praise God! 


Saturday was a day of chores and errands. I made pancakes, which we do on many Saturdays. John mowed our lawn, coming in to eat in between doing the back and front yards.


Joseph (7) making pancakes with Mama

At one point, our domestic felicity was punctured by the report of a crime. A graffiti artist had struck, scribbling his so-called art on one of our doors. It was going to take Sherlock Holmes to figure out who might have committed this dastardly deed.

"THOM" on the door

Daddy called Thomas (4) into the room and Tom immediately sidled up to the door to block the graffiti with his back from his dad's eyes. Daddy pointed silently at the writing and Thomas said immediately, "Sorry, Daddy!" Then they washed it off together.

How clearly I remember when John carved his name into our windowsill when he was probably a similar age. I was so angry! Livid! But over the years, I came to love seeing the carved name in my windowsill every day when I went into the laundry room: when we moved out of the home, how dearly I wished we could remove the windowsill and bring it with us!



John and I got to dreaming about garden projects, all of which require more of a budget than we have right now, so we did some shifting around of items we already had on hand. This little "garden room" is at the top of our driveway and is the only half-decent grass we have.


We moved this little iron table and chairs under the crape myrtle tree, and I look forward to drinking morning coffee there.

We elevated St. Francis atop a rock cairn.


And the bird bath was already there. We also have a bird feeder in that garden room, too.

Meanwhile, with Chris out on errands, I was overtaken by fatigue and zonked out in the middle of the day on the couch. I later stumbled down to find the children had made themselves lunch and then gotten out coloring books and were coloring while having civil conversation. It was like an early Mother's Day gift!


How David falls asleep horizontally on his full-sized bed every night . . . (Yes, it is still very light out at 7:00 p.m. when those little precious boys are put to bed!)



I finished reading (devouring) The Hound of the Baskervilles, my first full-length Sherlock Holmes book. It was thrilling and so satisfying!

In the evening, we all watched Winds of Kitty Hawk (1978) about the Wright Brothers. The children ages 4-13 and the adults really enjoyed this family movie, which needed not a single thing censored.


Bonus Reading for Posterity:

No comments:

Post a Comment