Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Nebraska: Grandma Camie's Memorial

This has been a summer of unexpected difficulties and sorrows on my maternal side of the family. In April my grandmother Linda died (shockingly unexpected), in June my grandfather almost died but recovered, we traveled to Nebraska in July, and in late September my grandmother Camie died (also fairly unexpected), so we traveled to Nebraska again this past week.

The four last things have been much on my mind (quietly in the background amidst the unceasing hustle and bustle): We must be wise and prudent in making plans and know that our plans may be so much dust tomorrow.

Monday October 14


I flew to Nebraska with David (too young for me to want to leave) and dear Margaret (8--my big helper this time!). Chris took three days off work to manage the four sweeties at home.


I fed everyone else breakfast but forgot to feed David, so I bought him Bugles for breakfast at the airport.



I had to leave our family's iPad behind at home (long story), so ended up having to entertain a two-year-old for three hours with only two board books, five matchbox cars, and some crayons for coloring. I did it!



We bought lunch at the airport (I didn't know that they don't feed you on planes anymore!), rented our car, drove the hour into Lincoln, and checked into our hotel, where we were happy to refresh ourselves with fresh cookies.


We were pooped and rested for a while! Margaret and I are both introverts, so we immediately stuck our nose into books and did not talk.


Then we stopped by Grandpa's house to visit family.




Uncle Steven
Every new photo with Grandpa is treasured!

Grandpa John

Tuesday October 15


We ate breakfast at the hotel, where David dragged his blankie, as he calls it. I've had other children who had a special stuffed animal or doll to sleep with (only), but this is my very first child of six to have a transitional objects he carries almost everywhere with him.


We had lots of time to kill, being on East Coast time, so we were able to attend the 8:00 a.m. Mass at the lovely FSSP parish.




I drove David around for a nap, returned to the hotel to dress up, and headed to the beautiful cemetery and reception facilities for the memorial.




Grandma Camie's friend made her an astoundingly wonderful photo board!




I was in and out with loud David regularly, but heard important speakers. At one point I walked around the gorgeous cemetery.


The Celebration of Life was very fitting for Camie and I think she would have loved it and approved of it.

Cousin Ethan

Two fellas and their wheels!

Beloved Aunt Erica

I treasure this family photo so much! Not everyone could make it, but many of us were able to gather!


After the memorial, I drove David around for another nap, then we enjoyed visiting and eating back at Grandpa's house before another night when my kids crashed within five minutes of reaching the hotel at an early hour.

Wednesday October 16


We went to the Hi-Way Diner (open 24 hours) for breakfast at the crack of dawn, in order to visit Grandpa's home one last time by 7:15 a.m.


I wrote out a time schedule for all my tasks to leave town, but then stayed too long visiting family and had to race, race, race to drive the hour to Omaha, fill up on gas, find the new rental car facility to return the car, and check in. The Omaha airport is formatted in a WEIRD WAY such that I walked straight from the rental car facility to the walk-through security area, still with my luggage-to-be-checked in hand. Only then did I realize that I needed to have walked far out of my way and to a basement floor downstairs to check my luggage. By this time, I really thought we'd miss our flight and we had to start running.

I checked in the bags, made it back through security, and got to the gate . . . where our boarding was delayed by an entire hour! Numerous people switched flights, such that Margaret ended up having an empty seat next to her, which was a boon. David did not do so well on this flight and many passengers were subjected to his screaming.



No comments:

Post a Comment