Friday, July 6, 2018

{SQT} Independence Day Edition



1. School Planning Blog Series


I wrote a four-part blog series on planning homeschooling and published three parts of it this past week before I decided to pull them down off the blog.

There are mommy bloggers out there who know what they are doing, who are being published, selling their worthy wares (their expertise), and getting book deals. I have no idea how they got started, but I do know that homeschooling mothers can go to them for help. The Big Names in Homeschool Blogging are still homeschooling their own kids, and it's not like they've got twenty or thirty years of experience, and are looking in the rear view mirror at a successful life before writing. Yet . . . I've got 100-200 individual readers per blog post (thanks, guys!), and that kind of sounds like a lot, but even a beginner blogger who actually receives comments and questions and is publishable has numerous thousands of individual readers, and soon has tens of thousands.

On my blog or in my personal life, nobody asks my opinion or experience with scheduling homeschooling, or anything else homeschooling, or the associated parenting or home organizing, so it's ridiculous for me to offer unasked-for advice, whether on my blog or in friendship.

I monetized my blog this year and in six months, not one individual has purchased anything linked on my blog. So, I've given up on that, too.

Now, me: I ask advice of experienced mothers all the time. I'm continually calling, emailing, and texting moms with specific questions because I think it's the best way to learn. I noticed her child exhibited such-and-such characteristic, and could she tell me how she nurtured that? She mentioned being involved in this activity, and would she tell me about it? I have a parenting problem and just don't know what to do, and would she help? Do you use a product that helps with such-and-such dilemma? A week doesn't go by without my asking somebody a specific question, and I'm so grateful for the answers and tips of these holy women.

In contrast, since all my weeks go by without anybody asking me any questions, that tells me that I just need to further focus on the microcosm that is my family, the souls that God gave to us. I thought that since I was born with the soul of a writer, and I haven't been able to put down a pencil since I was four years old, I should probably write, but maybe all I am good for is wiping bottoms and picking up the house (as I can tell you that I'm terrible at cooking anything or being a patient, loving person).

Maybe the whole blog should go, because really, what is the point?

2. Getting Outside



Took the kids to the pool by myself . . . it's a miracle!

Joseph sat in a tree for an hour one day watching the workers next door fell trees.

Watching tree workers

Since I save time in the mornings by leaving Thomas (almost 3) in his pajamas for our morning walk at 7:00 a.m. . . .


. . . he admonished Big Sister Mary one day, "You no wear Mass clothes! Wear sleeping clothes! Wear pajamas!" We all had the biggest chuckle at him.

Mary should wear her nightgown instead of this outfit to go biking.


3. Big Helpers

With Chris gone for ten days, working the kitchen at the boys' camp John was attending, I have been so grateful for the big help of my girls.

Reading the bedtime story to Thomas and many of his stuffed friends

4. Independence Day

I posted about our Independence Day here.




5. "Rabbit Hill"


This week, I finished reading aloud "Rabbit Hill" by Robert Lawson to Joseph and Thomas and, as I closed the cover after the last chapter, Joseph cried out, "That's all there is?! Can we read more?" Thomas, who is almost three, actually sat still every night for two weeks, listening to a chapter book: a first! And, in past, my oldest kids, even up to 11, and myself have guffawed and giggled over this book.

Reading aloud "Rabbit Hill" was the highlight of my evenings these last two weeks, and the audio recording is so utterly delightful, I recommend anyone check it out at the library or buy it before even buying the book . . . and I've never recommended that. I checked it out at our local library a few years ago, and I cannot seem to track down the narrator, but it is not the same narrator (Melba Sibrel) as the MP3 version being sold on Amazon/Audible; I listened to a sample of Miss Sibrel on Amazon, and, no offense to her meant, but the other version I listened to was one of the finest narrations of deeply Southern accents and character voices I've ever heard.

Anyway, it's a fabulous book, read aloud to all ages of children.


6. "Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants"


We watched the most joyful movie this week. Now, I live under a rock--have no clue who modern actors are, or which movies won the whatever-they-are-called annual awards--so maybe everyone knows about this movie, but for my fellow rock dwellers . . . "Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants" (2015) is the story of a ladybug who is befriended by the black ants who then journey with her to transport the sugar cubes back to the Queen Black Ant. Along the way, the rapacious red ants are pursuing them to try to steal the sugar cubes. There is a magnificent battle at the end.

This is a French movie re-released in America, and it contains no words. Thus, it has no gross or rude bodily humor, or inappropriately old jokes meant to keep the adults entertained but meanwhile robbing our children of their innocence.  It has no objectionable music.

The movie is made with real film of beautiful forest scenes, with wonderful CGI bugs, so it isn't a garish cartoon like so many movies.

There is a tender sub-plot about the ladybug being separated from her family of origin--which brought two of my children to tears--and there are some beautiful character developments of strength and triumph by the end.

The children and I were a laugh riot the entire movie. "Miniscule" is available streaming on Amazon Prime.

7. Miscellaneous


You know you're a large family when your very sweet, older, retiree neighbors lend you their garbage can (which has only one or two bags in it each week) and you fill both cans to the brim!


Thomas likes to wear head bands and play Wiki Stix.

Mary made truffles for Independence Day and later quick bread by herself. (I will need to be walking more miles around the neighborhood.)






For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

12 comments:

  1. As a parent who is following just a little behind where your family is, I very much appreciate reading about what you are doing and how you plan. In a world where being faithful Catholics is already countercultural, homeschooling the old-fashioned way (without Classical Conversations or co-ops, etc.) seems like it is getting to be even rarer.

    While I understand that money makes the world go around, I am less inclined to visit blogs that are "commercial" in feel. I don't find many of them that line up with the values of our traditional Catholic family, anyway.

    All this to say that there's at least one family who would like to see more planning posts - even if we decide to do it differently in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find your blog to be very interesting -you have a very different family style than I (so even though we're both Catholic and have a lot of kids) I learn a lot. I do not home-school (and never have felt such a call!) but your methods of doing school obviously work for your kids (who seem to learn and bloom under your supervision). So please don't talk yourself down. Although what's happening with your blog might not be what you expected, it's still a wonderful chronicle of your family's life and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine that the blog is a lot of work and if it does not feed you or bring you joy then that is not worth the effort. However, I believe there are many people like me who quietly enjoy all your posts. Your observations and recommendations are highly valued but your family is your first priority. I for one would miss your blog if you took it down. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you a crazy lady??!! Shoo away that defeatist attitude. Remonetize (because even if you get two people in a year that is a few extra bucks). And I don't like Pam Barnhill's blog and I stopped reading Amongst Lovely Things when she got all money making and publishy with products. I love your blog because it is one of few that is still just about good old fashioned home life and homeschooling and not trying to sell something!! I am sure if I lived closer to you I would be asking you advice constantly. I generally ask the people that I see and can sit down with etc. Pfft...Keep that chin up. You are doing an amazing job with your kids and your homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to look at IEW materials tomorrow thanks to you and your recent post! You are a mentor to me! You have the most beautiful (and perfectly crafted) sentences of any blogger...I read your posts to be educated and inspired, but also because it’s the only place I can go where I get to experience really, really good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like a previous commentor, I am Catholic with a life (and politics!) that differ from yours, but I nonetheless quite enjoy reading your blog! Even a full-time work outside the home mom appreciates reading posts about educating kids, because it gives me ideas about practices I can adopt in the precious time I do have with my own kiddos. One of my favorite things about your writing is that it isn’t either extreme — perfect, sunshine-y all the time, or constantly lampooning all of the craziness. Instead, you just write honestly about the reality of life with young kids, and how you keep continually try to guide and teach them through it all. There’s more than one lesson in that. You obviously love your children, and that shines through with every post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and have been a huge fan for years. You inspired me to homeschool my children and were instrumental in bringing me Into full commununion with the Church. I think you touch many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for writing about Rabbit Hill. I bought it for Gabriela’s independent reading last year but never read it myself. I will surely read it out loud to the others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog for a number of reasons. One is that your life is very different than mine and your perspective interesting while our values are similar. I love your honesty and your willingness to accept/admit areas you struggle with or simply are not gifted at. Your children are lovely and spirited and you all clearly love one another very much. I would miss your blog if you gave it up. I think you will appreciate having this sort of journal when the kids are older. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading your blog! yours is the only blog I've ever signed up to receive posts directly in my inbox. I only have 5 kids, will probably never homeschool them, and they've never been to a Latin Mass, but I love reading about your family life and your mom hacks and day to day wisdom for life with lots of little kids! Don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy your blog immensely and often check out the books you suggest. I have also used your advice in the home to make things more efficient. Please keep writing! You have a lovely and authentic voice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am another who silently but consistently enjoys your blog! It looks like our family is probably going to jump back into the homeschooling fray next year, and the first thing I did to start preparing was to look through all of your curriculum posts for the start and end of each year. I have gotten so much great advice from here, from reading suggestions to curriculum ideas to basic household organization.
    After reading this post the other night I was reading a chapter in Jennifer Fulwiler’s new book where she is discussing “resistance”—her word for spiritual attack, basically—and how often it can be used against women to make them feel unworthy of sharing their gifts with the world. I so strongly thought of you and this post while reading that, and am happy to see you put those planning posts back up!

    ReplyDelete