Friday, January 5, 2018

{SQT} Winter Quarter Begins

1 and 2. To the Biltmore and Back to Routine


This week was a tough one! Getting back to routine is so hard, I find.


After our adventure going to The Biltmore over New Year's Eve (read more here), we started back at school.

And all I have to say about that is that it was really challenging.

Once I heard a homeschooling mom of many answer the question of "How do you do it?!" She replied something like, Some days are good, some days are bad. That's it.

Ditto that.



I don't have time to teach science, but I do have the ability to buy a microscope book and a microscope and leave them in the kitchen, where my 11-year-old will find them and be off to the races, doing experiments during the week.

3. At Least There Are Good Books


Popcorn, hot cocoa, and Greek myths

Our school days were shortened this week due to New Year's day and some scheduling matters, so we are easing back in. Lack of order leaves me frustrated, but I calm myself that we're reading some great books right now:
  • "Tanglewood Tales" (1853): I'm reading aloud these Greek myths for children written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. All the kids are loving them, down to my 4- and 6-year-olds even requesting I read that book again (and I thought this one would be above their heads--never underestimate little kids).
  • "Mr. Midshipman Easy" (1836): This is such a fabulous funny book. The language is very elevated, so I'm reading it to my 9- and 11-year-olds, and my 6-year-old is allowed to sit in and listen only if she stops interrupting with questions (because they're just too frequent).
  • Two new science books in our home are engrossing one child: Eric Sloane's "Weather Book" (1949) and Richard Headstrom's "Adventures with a Microscope" (1941).
  • Another child read Nesbit's "Treasure Seekers" (1899) in a few days and now is off on a couple of other books.
  • I'm now reading "Their Hearts Are His Garden" (1940) to my almost-five-year-old at night. They're absolutely precious catechetical stories, less than one page, and perfect for the ages of three to five.
  • I continue reading "Read Aloud Book of Bible Stories" (2012) at morning prayer time because I got through only half of our planned reading during Advent. I tried, I got some done, and I plod ahead. (It's a sweet book.)
  • When the kids were grounded for a couple of days and lost even their own books, they begged to please at least be able to read Shakespeare. How could I say no? So, they've been reading Shakespeare plays and sonnets at night.

4. Going Places


David is growing up too fast!

Meanwhile, this four-and-a-half-month-old chunky monkey (estimated 16.5 lbs) began rolling over back-to-front on January 3rd. He spent all day trying so very hard, and only occasionally rolling. Then the next morning, when I lay him on the ground to get my coffee, he rolled over immediately and five times in a row. I love this stage!

5. Back to CCE


On Friday, the first day back at CCE, it was our family's turn to give the Family Presentation. Given the date, I chose to deliver on the subject of the Epiphany. Our children came up with the idea to do a vignette of the Epiphany, which I present by video here:




6. More Fun Stuff


Then followed (or will follow) a Friday Epiphany party, a special Mass, a Saturday Epiphany party, and a Sunday dinner invitation, and all of that socializing will do nothing to help us get back to order and regularity in the house, but it will be enjoyable and full of life.

David, unsure about his king's crown

Epiphany procession to the Nativity creche

Kids making their own fun . . . while I was upstairs peaceably reading to the littlest ones in their PJs, the bigger set escaped outdoors (and then my 4-year-old, who was already in his pajamas) in the 23-degree night to put purple and green lights on the go-kart and ride up and down the driveway.




7. Bonus Listening


I stumbled upon podcasts by Durenda Wilson about home educating boys, and I'm finding them so interesting. She is a "diligent but unhurried homeschooler" of eight children, five of them boys, six of whom are now grown. See www.durendawilson.com.


For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

1 comment:

  1. Kids who request Shakespeare; is there anything better for the homeschooling mother's weary heart?!?
    Lots of good books in this post. We also love Sloane and Nesbit.
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete