Friday, September 1, 2017

{SQT} The Week School Began


1. Keep Focused


I am trying to remind myself that this is what it's all about . . .


. . . but there have been plenty of tears and frustrations as David continued to transfer zero milk and I pump exclusively, while Chris went back to work (half-time this week).



2. Mother's Helper


Every newborn should come equipped with his own eight-year-old sister.


Mary is such a little helper and--now at eight instead of six, like last time--she has a good sisterly instinct and enough strength to hold the baby securely, walk with him, feed him bottles, and so forth. Above, Mary is calmly rocking sleeping David's car seat while she reads at my doctor's appointment.

3. A (False) Sense of Control


When I feel utterly overwhelmed, I like to pick a concrete task to complete so I perceive that I have a little control over something. So, this week, I organized the way too many coats we have, thanks to very generous hand-me-downs for our children. I limited each child to one heavy winter coat, one every day kind of fleece, and one light windbreaker. First World problems, eh?


Sorting by sex and size

The giveaway pile

Fewer coats and neatly organized


4. Moments of Levity





5. Frenectomy, Take 2


David's frenectomy wound had closed up too fast and too tight, so his tongue was more tethered than it should be. According to our scale, he was still transferring nothing at every feeding. To add insult to injury, when I nurse him and do a test weigh (before and after), he usually comes out weighing a couple of grams less because he used up calories exerting himself trying to get milk that he just couldn't get.

So, we went back to the doctor for follow-up and he released David's tongue tie again. Poor baby.

10 lbs 9 oz at 3 weeks old today--more than a 2-lb gain

By that very night, he transferred 9 mL, by the next morning 23 mL, and then 30 mL (one ounce)! His typical bottle feedings are 2-3 oz, so please pray for 60- to 90-mL transfers!


6. School Year 2017-18


On Monday, we started school, even though it was a very "soft start." As my ten-year-old said to me, "It's like you got to the train station, but you didn't quite get on the train." (click here for blog post)


7. First Day of Catholic Classical Education 2017-18

On Friday, the oldest four children headed off to their first day of CCE. This is Joseph's first year in the Pre-K classroom instead of in the Nursery with Mama, and his first day of show-and-tell!




Chris took the children on my behalf and may do so for a few Fridays until I feel ready.

I'm so proud of them!


Thomas stayed home with me and wore a backpack to be like his bigger siblings.




For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

1 comment:

  1. I am crying tears of joy and happiness to read that David is transferring some milk! Oh joy, thanks be to God! A wonderful lift to read this after a rocky "first day" schoolwise at our house.

    ReplyDelete