Monday, August 14, 2017

Three Days Postpartum: Monday

Today was the day we confirmed my suspicion that David is tongue tied like his brothers John, Joseph, and Thomas. I read that tongue tie has a genetic component, and occurs more frequently in boys, so this was something we were ready to check for. I had already contacted my IBCLC before I delivered, and when I did, I scheduled her to come to my home on Day 3 (when milk typically comes in).

It was on Sunday afternoon that David began wailing inconsolably and rejecting the breast, and causing a damage to Mama during his nursing attempts. After a few hours, I reached out to my parishioner friend T--- who lives nearby and asked her for some formula . . . something I hadn't given even one bottle of to my five previous babies. She left her children with her husband, leapt in the car, and raced to my house, whereupon I burst into tears when she walked into my kitchen.

She was so kind to make me sit down, offer me water, and just sit and talk to me while we fed David a bottle of formula: a spiritual milestone for this mama and retired La Leche League leader.

I credit some excellent breastfeeding professionals and paraprofessionals who trained me and taught me not to get hung up on ideals but to remember

The First Rule: FEED THE BABY. 

We don't let a newborn go hungry because we are unbending about ideals. With Thomas, I was blessed to have donor breast milk, but for David I didn't.

On Monday, my IBCLC did a comprehensive exam, and the long nursing session and measurement on a transfer scale (sensitive down to one gram/milliliter) revealed that David transferred exactly zero milliliters of milk, even though my supply had come in.

I know the drill by now. Rent the hospital-grade pump and transfer scale. Begin pumping 8-10 times per day immediately to build a supply that the baby won't be able to build. Feed via a bottle. Schedule a tongue tie revision. Begin oral exercises to strengthen baby's mouth so he can learn to nurse.

It helps a possibly overwhelmed mama to think of this like feeding triplets, which she would know and accept as a Herculean effort, not something that "should" come easy.
  • Pumping 8-10x/day = one baby
  • Making nursing attempts 8-10x per day so baby can learn = second baby
  • Feeding with a botttle 8-10x per day so baby is actually fed = third baby


Repeat this cycle every two to three hours around the clock. Please pray for my perseverance!


(Retroactively published to Monday.)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the "triplet feeding" was my reality with my Ben for six weeks <3 I cheated on the nursing attempts to get more sleep;) Hang in there mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being an example of bending to the will of God for all the world to see! You let go of ideals for the sake of your dear David and for holiness. I am so proud of you; I praise God for that action of grace in you!

    ReplyDelete