Friday, November 11, 2016

7 Quick Takes Friday


1. The Election


Of course, the elephant in the room (pardon the pun) is the election this week. We set aside time to participate as a family, which was enjoyable (click here).

Now I will return the fat stack of children's books on government and politics to the library, after my kids were assigned to read them 15 minutes per day for the last month.

2. On a Lighter Note


My week could have gone much worse than it did, and I could have come out of it with a new and very short hairstyle.


One day, a child was brushing my hair while I read aloud our History to the group--a common pastime which I love. Unfortunately, said child brushed my hair wrong, using a round brush (a no-no on long hair) and, in the blink of an eye, my hair was tangled very badly.


I couldn't get it untangled, nor could my children or my husband, so Chris took me to a hair salon (and sat outside in the car with the little boys) in hopes that the brush wouldn't have to be cut out--which was the hairdresser's first inclination!

Thank goodness, the doubtful hairdresser saved my locks!

3. Exercise Endeavors


It is getting colder in the wee mornings! I am grateful to the Time Change for an earlier sunrise, but the chill is getting to me. I think I'm too much of a wimp to keep up outdoor exercise when we fall below 40 degrees.

Bundled up for a 6:00 a.m. walk at 45 degrees

I've been experimenting with three layers of clothing and that has made me comfortable . . . but down into the 30s, I make no promises.

4. Scholastic Scenes


How fondly I remember doing the below math exercise first with John and then Mary, and now Margaret! One of the lessons is to teach how to make a chart using tally marks. With each child doing Kindergarten math, we have tallied up how many children our various family friends have. I would just love to find my old blog posts and see how these numbers have increased over the years!

You Know You're Catholic When . . . 

I really like the Draw, Write, Now series, and it's a great occupation when Mama is reading aloud another subject (like History).


Five-year-old's creation from using Draw, Write, Now

You know Margaret (5) is a music nerd like her older siblings when she rebels during piano practice by transposing the song instead of playing it the "right" way.


One day, I stumbled upon Mary composing her own piece on the violin . . . I love these moments.





5. Family Books of the Week (in progress or completed)

It has been so long since any of us have been passionate about serious literature and I'm really feeling the loss.


I try my best always when reading aloud a book to say the author's name. I read the title "by so-and-so," even to my toddlers. After ten years, I didn't think anyone cared but me.

One night, I was reading a picture book from the library to Joseph (3) and, when I read the title and opened the book, he interrupted me: "Mama, who is it by?"

HEART MELT.

6. Random Moments


I was touched to go retrieve Joseph (3) from Quiet Time and find my Li'l Soldier sleeping after playing with his wonderful hand-me-down set of army guys.

Sleeping Soldier
Joseph at 3-3/4 is finally old enough to start occupying himself with various activities, for stretches of time, while I do school with the older ones. One of his new occupations is playing Mass with our wonderful Mass kit.


John (9) took apart two bicycles and connected them to build a tandem bike.



7. Meals

  • Saturday
    • Restaurant after the Steinway recital
  • Sunday
  • Monday
  • Tuesday
    • Taco night, One Pot Pinto Beans (didn't remember to start the slow cooker), rice, chips, guac, queso
  • Wednesday
    • Hot dogs, frozen veggies, pasta/rice
  • Thursday
    • Guests at someone's home for dinner
  • Friday
    • We're planning a second "Kids Cook Real Food" class. The children will cook:
      • a fruit and cheese platter
      • kielbasa sausage with sauteed onions and peppers
      • pumpkin muffins

On Friday, I arranged to bring cupcakes after CCE to celebrate Mary's birthday--eight tomorrow!--along with two other children. Festive deliciousness!



For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

2 comments:

  1. Your kiddos are awesome! I LOVE the idea of a Mass play kit - I had no idea such a thing even existed! And children asking the name of the author? That warms this writer's heart :) And congrats on making it through the round brush ordeal without bald patches. A friend of mine had a similar experience with a toy car and DID end up getting a hunk of her hair cut VERY short! (She just kept it all pulled back until that patch caught back up - LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! That's quite the picture of your hair...situation. I'm impressed that you didn't come home with a bob.

    Happy birthday to Mary. :)

    ReplyDelete