Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Wednesday Adventures

Wednesday: Part I


On Wednesday, Chris took John and Mary on a day trip (see Part II) so I found myself alone with children ages five, three, and under one. What a flash back! I had a totally slow, relaxed morning routine, starting our day with a brisk neighborhood walk. We did Morning Basket Time "preschooler style" with a different selection of books, leaving Margaret so very happy to be the Biggest and Smartest kid at the table: she knew her math skip counting better than anyone there, don't you know! In fact, in the more intimate group all morning, my melancholic, quiet one chattered on almost nonstop to me.


Then I took the children to a playground, which was empty (literally) because--as I discovered--it is too hot outside already by 10:30 a.m. when we arrived . . .



. . . so we left an hour later, drenched in sweat, and went out to lunch.


At the restaurant, a woman of advanced years, came up to me and said, "Excuse me, I just want to comment that your children are so very happy and so good. I've been a preschool teacher for a long time, so I know children."

It was such an energizing first half of the day, reminding me of back when I still had all my ducks in a row and felt like a Really Good Mama. God didn't want that feeling to last too long, though, so then Joseph wept for an hour and the baby proceeded to cry inconsolably most of the time for six hours (getting sick? teething?), and Chris had to go out that evening as well, so I was by myself with all five and I was reminded that I really don't have it all together whatsoever--even with my calendar--although the brief, false feeling was nice.

Wednesday: Part II

Meanwhile, Chris had taken John and Mary to visit our friends the C----- on their farm a couple of hours outside of Charlotte. He came bearing gifts: a whole slew of postpartum meals from homeschooling families at our parish! I am so happy for Mrs. C----- to have some meals waiting for her when she delivers within the week.

Our children stayed to play, barefoot on the farm, and even through the hot rainstorm that wet down all the dust. Even through? The rainstorm was probably the best part!




Concerned Mama sees the picture and scolds that a child is "on a hot range."



No comments:

Post a Comment