Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Christmas Octave: Day Five

A certain little imp used my label maker  ('Off limits! Expensive labels!') to make me a loving sign for my bedside table. Who can resist having a lifted heart when she goes to bed and wakes to see an "I love you" sign and some wee baby toys?



Tuesday was a busy-bee day, if not a particularly Christmas-y one. The day included a trip to IKEA and to the Lego store to buy Christmas gifts, piano lessons, a dental appointment, and an evening meeting.

This is what happens when you leave the baby alone in the room with a preschooler . . .


Baby didn't cry! He loved the hat and ear muffs.


Asleep before our appointment
Knowing I was going to a dental appointment, I tried keeping Thomas awake the final half hour before I needed to leave so that he would stay asleep in the car with my babysitter (Grampa Neil) during the appointment, but that didn't go too well.



We also tried to keep Joseph from napping so that he would go to sleep quite early tonight, while I was at my meeting: again, I was foiled.

Ill-timed nap right before dinner
The best laid plans of mice and men . . . and mothers!

Our Christmas decorations are still up and we're not tired of them, having not decorated until Christmas Eve. Click here and here for nice articles encouraging us to keep the festivity going.


Eight Days of Books

The married team of Ingri D'Aulaire (1904-1980) and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire (1898-1986) were immigrants from Norway and Germany, respectively, to America who specialized in a joint career of writing and illustrating beautiful children's books. Our family has enjoyed beginning a collection of D'Aualire books and added to our collection this Christmas. These books are quite enjoyable, beautifully and interestingly illustrated, and can also be used extensively to learn history during the elementary school years.

(Click here for a helpful, short review of D'Aulaire books as used in homeschooling.)

We also own their Greek Myths and Norse Myths.

No comments:

Post a Comment