Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Day 4: Hello, Hormones

Day 4 dawned with a crying fit on my part, so I figured that nursing hormones were surging and--along with only 10 hours' sleep over four days--were taking their toll.

The grandparents arrived to meet Grandbaby # 11.



A dear friend stopped by for a visit, which we enjoyed by ourselves for the most part, leaving Dad and Grandparents watching all the children play in the back yard.

Our godchildren meeting Thomas

With her assistance, I gave Thomas his first bath. He was not a fan.























Today I perceived that the house temperature has been changed by some saboteur to be suffocatingly hot, although my husband assures me it hasn't. Is it a coincidence that nursing became well established today and I've shed no small number of tears today?

(Try reading this article without weeping. And one of my children observed innocently today, "Mommy, your tummy is still really fat." Yes, indeed, there's no denying that! Excuse me while I grab a Kleenex, sniff sniff.)

Meanwhile, I am mourning the loss of my close buddy relationship with Joseph (2-1/2), my boy with the gorgeous curls like a halo and the personality like the sunshine. He was so close to me even a couple of weeks ago, before I went on bed rest, that I couldn't so much as enter the bathroom without him coming with me. When I went on bed rest, he did enjoy the attention from the string of babysitters (although wouldn't let them change his diaper--still wanted me), but he'd come upstairs to visit me many times per day. He would not go to sleep without receiving from me a hug, a kiss, and a blessing. Ouchies needed Mama's kiss to heal. But in the last days since Thomas' birth, his visits have been fewer and fewer.

Today Joseph didn't visit me in my bedroom at all between waking at 6:00 and going to bed (ridiculously late) at 9:00 p.m. I wanted to read him bedtime stories; he preferred to play with plastic army men.

Well, there go the tears again. And someone had better turn our air conditioning cooler!

No comments:

Post a Comment