Monday, June 1, 2015

Summer Art Classes

Today John and Mary attended their first summer art classes, as part of the Fine Arts Program at our parish.


Mary is in the K-2 class: Drawing and color theory work taught by a homeschooling mother possessing a degree in Fine Arts with a concentration in three-dimensional art.

Iwo Jima?

She told me that she had painted "that famous picture of the soldiers running up the hill to plant the flag." I showed her the Flag Raising at Iwo Jima and she confirmed immediately that that was what she intended. Where she saw that, I have no idea!

Source


I am volunteering in Mary's class for the first two weeks, and during the third week I'll volunteer in John's class, where I'll get to see the Painting and Exploration of Color for grades 3-5. Taught by a professional art teacher, "young artists will learn the fundamentals of color theory and how we use it in our art. They will also learn basic skills of painting with acrylics, watercolor, and an introduction to oil pastels. The class will explore how we share in God’s creative power through our art and explore sacred art throughout history to inspire our own work."

On a related note, I found it humorous to watch the girls and boys behave so differently in the K-2 class. The children self-segregated into girls and boys through no direction from us. I noted that the little girls sat quietly (did they get up even once?), followed instructions, and, in fact, anticipated where the teacher was going and worked ahead on the color wheel project.

Meanwhile, the boys chatted amongst themselves, spoke out of turn, needed more help with instructions, and repeatedly leapt out of seats (to do things like jump like kangaroos). Their paint brushes were quickly smashed to oblivion as the boys used so much energy to paint. After a while of seeing where my teacher's assistant help was going to be needed, I simply pulled up a chair next to the boys' table and parked my big pregnant belly there for the duration.

I admire so much the different strengths men have, strengths typical to them that are not typical of average women . . . but comparing little girls to little boys is just fascinating and humorous. Working with little boys is a whole different ballgame, and not an easy one! But I hear parents of girls will get their comeuppance during the middle-school and teenage years.

No comments:

Post a Comment