Sunday, May 3, 2015

Daddy's Day Out, Mama's Day In

Usually Chris travels west, so his jet lag is "off" the family schedule. Imagine my delight when he returned from the east (London) and was up and rarin' to go at 4:30 a.m.! He treated me with much of a day of respite, first taking all four children on the train (Joseph's first time!) to story time at the uptown children's library, then back again for lunch; then he took the two olders to a special afternoon Mass while the two littles napped at home with me. On his drive back from Mass, he asked if he could pick us up dinner so I didn't have to cook.

That's the way for a husband to return after seven days' on the road!

Joseph was wide-eyed and serious on the train.


I recall with fondness the days when our firstborn was two, three, and even four: Chris and I would wake up and wonder what to do with our Big Empty Saturday. Sometimes the answer was just to ride the train aimlessly so our toddler son could be overjoyed. Believe me, that doesn't happen anymore! Our Saturdays are busy from waking to night with To Do Lists. Therefore, Joseph (2) had never been on a train and I'm not sure about Margaret (4) either.




And going to story time at the library is novel to them as well: they all loved it!





Here is a bonus picture of Joseph's "sad face." Sometimes he comes to me with this face (while scuffing his foot on the ground pathetically) and declares, "Daddy told me!" That means Daddy told me no about something or other. Mama's got to have fortitude to hold the line with a precious pouty lip and dark eyelashes like that!

Joseph's sad face

No comments:

Post a Comment