Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Day 8: California

On Tuesday morning, we met Dad for our traditional breakfast at Cindy's Restaurant. I do enjoy a good 1960s-style diner! I still remember that during my childhood years Cindy's had a special shelf for the regular trucker customers to store their own coffee mugs.

Bright sun


Afterward we scampered a couple of blocks away to Pioneer Park, which we had to ourselves at 8:00 a.m. The children had a grand time running off energy and Dad and I got a chance to talk.

























On our way home, I stopped by the Nugget grocery store to buy a few snacks (read: bribes for quiet behavior) to eat on our airplane ride tomorrow. This was my childhood grocery store (then very 'small town' and a bit dingy, now ultra hippie chic) and I enjoyed going up and down the aisles.

In the background is a display of funky bags with peace signs decorating them, as well as a mere fraction of the Uber Organic and Health-Conscious personal care department.

The children were given long overdue baths and then fell asleep for a nap by 10:30 in the morning. This might have been their first real nap in a bed on this entire trip--and they slept a glorious two hours!


Joseph woke, then promptly fell asleep in my arms,
so I put him back down for Nap Part 2 on the sofa.

The rest of Tuesday was spent on those domestic management tasks necessary to travel. I planned our meals for the week and placed a grocery order online for my husband to pick up tomorrow morning 3,000 miles from here: modern times! I rented and downloaded a few movies onto my tablet for the children to watch while flying 30,000 feet above the earth. I packed up our belongings and tried to clean up a bit after ourselves.

In the evening, Neil took us to our last dinner at an old restaurant haunt (Silver Dragon).

I took the kids for their last park play time.

We took our last nature walk on the Putah Creek trails.

I ate the last It's-It in the box.

This trip has been wonderful! I give thanks to the guardian angels who helped Chris, John, and Mary arrive home in Charlotte safely tonight. I pray to our guardian angels to similarly protect me, Margaret, and Joseph on our journey cross-country tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. All's well that ends well! I'm truly glad you had a good vacation. You're probably already back in town, but prayers for safe travels anyhow! - Emiliann W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun family day! The kids certainly look like they enjoyed the park, though look thoroughly tired after the trip. Hahaha! Anyway, you planned the flight well. It's good that you downloaded a few movies for entertainment purposes. It would've been a long flight without them. Great job there! Take care! :)

    Erick Brooks @ Ripple Web

    ReplyDelete