Saturday, March 15, 2014

Daddy Days

With Katherine off on her retreat, I was given the daunting task of staying home with the older three John (7); Mary (5); and Margaret (almost 3).  Since she would be gone during the work week (Monday through Thursday), the thought did occur to me that I could just plop the kids in a big pile of legos while I continued to work from my home office.  But truth be told I started to actually look forward to this opportunity to spend some alone time with my kids.  I ended up taking vacation time for the week ... and I think a great time was had by all. 

After a mix up happened with my original plan for supper on the first night, I improvised with this culinary masterpiece.  

John received a beginner level telescope for Christmas, and this was the first free night since that was both warm and clear skies.  There was nice big 3/4 moon and we also had a good view of Mars.
On Wednesday, I took the kids to the Carolina Raptor Center for a homeschooling field trip.  We had the place to our selves ... (yeah homeschooling!).

They are building some new themed attractions at the Center ... this one features Raptors of the Silver Screen.

The also have a new educational area with tables and easels for painting.


Our one trouble incident was when John accidentally got his RC car stuck in Margaret's hair.  Her hair was really wound pretty good around the axle. ...

 ... a quick snip and everyone was happy again.
All's well that ends well.  I was very thankful for both this opportunity to spend three days with my kids ... and also for having my wife home again.  This three days was also a good meditation for me on how hard it is to do a mothers job. ... and how lost we would all be without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment