Sunday, September 15, 2013

Finding Nemo, but Losing Margaret

Our precious Margaret (2 years 6 months) is now terrified of drains.

Have you ever thought about the omnipresence of drains in our lives? And all the implications if one cannot be around a drain without feeling terror? I never had.


Maybe a month ago, the children watched "Finding Nemo" for the first time. A parent stayed in the room and fast-forwarded scenes that were tense (such as Nemo telling his dad he hates him) or scary (like the sharks). But it never occurred to us that Nemo escaping the dentist's office by leaping down the drain to be swept back to sea would be traumatizing.

Then we left for Massachusetts and, with all the hustle and bustle, I didn't notice a growing problem that Margaret was not using the bathroom. She was withholding things. She would announce the need to visit the bathroom, I'd say 'sure, let's go,' and she'd start screaming as if trying to convince herself, "I don't need to go potty! I don't need to go!" I'd say 'okay,' and feel confused. After nearly a week, it dawned on me that she had withheld for all that time and was having more and more of these attacks. I couldn't figure out why on earth she was seemingly afraid of toilets for the first time in her life.



It got worse and worse fast.

How many times a day does a toddler need to wash her hands? How many germ-infested things does she touch? The child who before loved water play of all times now acts like I am holding her hands in roaring flames if I finally physically pin her down and wash her hands.

The child who hadn't done a BM in her diaper since a year old or younger now uses only her diaper, refuses to use a toilet and, in fact, is terrified of anyone in the house using a toilet. The sound of a flush coming from anywhere causes her to start screaming like a vicious dog is rushing at her. When any one of my children needs to visit a public restroom, I have to take all four children in, of course: my two-year-old starts panicking as soon as we're in the restroom and spends the entire visit screaming and weeping, "Don't flush the toilet! Don't flush the toilet!" and trying to escape out of the restroom into the building.

My precious girl who would splash in the tub for an hour if I let her now acts like a clawing, hissing cat when I decide after a whole week of grubby play, when she's actually covered in visible dirt, that she simply must take a bath. I have to physically hold her in, even though I've done what measures I can, like covering the drain with a big towel to "block" it.



We really do believe the problem stems from "Finding Nemo." Several times, Margaret has asked me out of the blue if I remember Nemo. Then she recounts the story of what happened to him going down the drain. Then I reassure her that Nemo really was okay, and Margaret doesn't fit down a drain.

Also, we did a little test by putting on a "Curious George" episode (a favorite show of hers) in which George sends some toys down the drain and the plumber has to be called. She was watching just fine until the drain scene. Suddenly she became screaming in fear, ran out of the den and into the kitchen, and wept, refusing to go back into the room or watch the show.

And then, if there was any doubt left in my mind, it was erased tonight. The girls were playing upstairs when I heard screaming from Margaret that chilled me. I raced upstairs, expecting something dramatically bad. Margaret was convulsively shaking all over, broken out in sweat, and weeping. She kept screaming something to me that was unintelligible. Mary was standing there, realizing she'd done something really bad. After losing my cool, Mary fessed up that she'd taken a little, plastic orange fish, held it over the drain in the sink, and swirled it in circles as if it were going down the drain. (Mary could well have been doing innocent play with a plastic fish in the sink, not trying to scare her sister, but I can't know.) Margaret was beside herself and I've never felt a child shake in that way. I had to take her away and calm her down, and then she brought up Nemo again. I explained that fish like water, Nemo wanted to go down the drain, he was happy, he can swim, and, besides, the whole movie is just pretend, not real.

But none of that matters when you're two-and-a-half.



I really don't know what to do with a child who is terrified of pottying (hers or anyone else's), bathing, and washing hands. Maybe this will be funny someday, but seeing such stark fear in my daughter's eyes and feeling her body coursing with adrenaline has erased any humor in the situation for me. I think we're going to have to be really gentle and slow with her because there is such little nascent reason in a two-year-old to work with here.

I'm so sad for my little pumpkin!

15 comments:

  1. This is so sad! I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, how sad! At first your post seemed comical but how terrifying for her! I would not have imagined for such a fear to take hold, poor little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine. I am worried about this. Just wondering - if she is okay in water where there is no drain such as a pool or bucket. Perhaps let her give her baby doll a bath in these type places. Just thinking out loud. Also you could asker to tell grandmom about nemo and see if this will give her an avenue to talk about her fear with someone who she can't see going potty. I'll do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mean to send anonymously but it's the only one that works for me to send. MIL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas to try, Grandmom. Also, it occurred to me in the middle of the night (couldn't sleep) to try letting her wash her hands in a little plastic basin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Rogers' "You Can Never Go Down the Drain"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_aGrZu5tUM

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about going and getting the portable potty until this is resolved, at least she will be diaper free and not have a drain?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you try the portable potty for her so she is able to go outside the diaper until the fear is resolved?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Estella is my first one with similar true irrational fears. It started when she imagined a monster she was very scared of. If anyone says that the monster is nearby she cries in actual fear. Once they mentioned the monster to her at the car wash, which is supposed to be fun for everyone! Another thing that sends her into fits is someone crawling along the floor making extra noise with their hands as they crawl. It's really upsetting. :( Poor baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've probably considered or tried this, but would bathing with Mary or watching her take a bath help her to see there's nothing to fear or feel more secure? I'm so sorry for your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim: Yes! I'd put away all the portable potties, but I'm going to get them out again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been thinking about Margaret since I read this post this morning. What if you did a "science" experiment with John and Mary in which you practice pouring things through a funnel? You could have Margaret watch and then talk about the things that can go through the funnel and things that can't. Perhaps if you try several things like blocks, puzzle pieces, little balls. Then talk about why those things can't go through and a glass of water can. Then move on to questions like, "Are we like water? Are we small enough to go through this funnel? Could we even squeeze through it?"
    I wouldn't even mention that the funnel is kind of like a drain. Maybe it will help her understand that she won't be swept away. I suspect that is at the heart of her fear.
    I feel for her! And for you, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the same vein as the portable potty, how about a some sort of washing tub for a bath?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopefully your little darling will soon realize that no one is going to go down the drain. You both will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete