Monday, July 22, 2013

Teaching What I Know

I think I've been trying and hoping to teach the children knitting--which I don't remember how to do from years ago--when what I really should teach them is what I know: sewing. What do the children see me doing? Sewing, not knitting.

The latest two jumpers in sizes 5 and 3. Such a quick project. I've been doing a lot of simple projects and should challenge myself with a complex dress sometime soon.

As I was sewing the jumpers, the baby was napping and the three children were in the room with me most of the time, hanging on my arms and shoulders, watching as usual. John asked if he could try sewing and I said I didn't have time to show him right now, but he was welcome to do what he could on his own. He dug through my trash can for a scrap of fabric, so I rewarded his initiative by threading a needle for him. Then I said I was too busy again and turned my back.

Next time I glanced at him, John was sewing with great concentration.

John successfully sewed a little dolly pillow for his sister! I showed him how to stuff it with batting and sew the last edge.

He was truly excited to have this new skill!

First thing this morning, John asked me if he could start sewing. I said I didn't have time due to my morning chores, so he asked if he could go into the sewing room by himself for the supplies. I said I didn't think he could find them by himself, but that he had permission. He reappeared a few minutes later with everything just right, including thread matching to the fabric. He's working on a pillow for his other sister, and has a list of his friends for whom he wants to sew dolly pillows. Also, he noticed a hole in his shirt and asked if he could mend it himself, and I said, yes! So that is next on my list to teach him.

I think I have it through my thick head after hoping and failing to teach knitting for the last couple of years that I should just teach what I know and what they want to learn! (Mary is next in line, begging me to teach her to sew.)

2 comments:

  1. Sewing is a great thing to teach. Gabi loves to sew. Practical life at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an important skill to have! My two older boys like to sew too. The oldest made a doll quilt during first grade and the 4 yo did a mini-blanket from wool felt. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete