Monday, June 24, 2013

Achieving Quiet While Homeschooling

Today I noticed a really lovely quiet stretch during our abbreviated summer schooling. This was notable compared to the cacophony I am usually correcting, so I took a photo.

John was doing his math lesson and Joseph was quietly playing in his bouncy seat . . . 

. . . while simultaneously Margaret was stacking blocks
and Mary was having a turn on Starfall while wearing the noise-cancelling headphones.

The quiet stretch was glorious and I wondered: How can I achieve quiet during schooling more consistently? How attainable is this goal or is it one of those unavoidable distressing aspects of homeschooling in general?

While at the homeschool conference, I listened to one suggestion that seemed a relic of yesteryear (several decades past). The speaker was reminding women that having a baby doesn't just sneak up on us, we know it is coming! So, we should plan for it, "Next year I'm going to have a toddler, and toddlers are really tough while homeschooling. What will I do?" She suggested putting a baby gate or a playpen in the back yard and leaving the toddler (read: 1- to 3-years-old) out there by himself to play during morning school time. That seemed like a suggestion totally unfeasible to me and she made no other suggestions for how we are to keep the toddlers quiet and supervised, which is what I consider my greatest challenge right now.

Personally, I have a 400-square foot bonus room in which to school, so I keep all the children with me under supervision. This is great for supervision but bad for noise control. Later, I expect older children will get to school at the kitchen or dining room tables away from me for some more peace and quiet, but that isn't something John will be doing this coming year in first grade.

I'd love comments, experiences, and suggestions about how you keep quiet with the toddler set around! (By age four and five, I have found so far, in my limited experience, that I can teach and discipline in order to obtain quiet.)

9 comments:

  1. Katherine, the only thing I have found that works to keep a toddler quiet is to have an activity that totally absorbs the child. But...you can't make a little one focus, so it's hit or miss. Since you have the noise cancelling headphones, why not try recording yourself reading some of Margaret's favorite picture books and have her listen to you read while she pages through the books? Playdoh is another activity that seems to draw attention for a bit (if you can keep the older one's from joining in on the fun!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have friends who use toddler afternoon nap time for focused school time with their older kids. I just deal with noise b/c nap time is my break and I'm not willing to give it up! But I'd love to hear some better ideas too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been my greatest challenge too! Please tell me it is everyone's!

    Every child is different, some will be occupied with a jigsaw puzzle but not sit still in front of a dvd. I think you have to have lots of little tricks up your sleeve designed specifically for each little one. Make it feel like their version of school so they are included not banished to another area and accept that there will be a gazillion interruptions where you simply smile and pull the next trick out of said sleeve! make a little desk/work station for your toddler and stock it!
    I like blocks, simple jigsaws, letter/picture stamps. The aquadraw mat is awesome and mess free. Letter and number coloring sheets. A basket of board books. Audio books with campanion books are available from the library. When needs must I resort to screen time in the form of dvds from preschool prep/leapfrog etc. I have heard good things about language series Little Pim but have no experience with it.

    Also, there is something about classical music on low in the background that seems to keep the whole thing calmer. Sometimes anyway!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kori: Great point about how you can't *make* a little one focus. We can just inspire and hope!

    Love the idea of recording myself reading. So cute! Now, how would I do that? Into what machine would I talk? Sorry to ask such a Luddite kind of question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, LOL. I have a smart phone that I use to make recordings, but of that's not available, you can get a microphone and record yourself onto the computer. Plus, if you think it's something you would often enough, Target has inexpensive voice recorders you can purchase. I don't know what they record onto...digital, I suppose. They don't make tapes anymore, do they?

      Delete
  5. Sharon: I've also heard of using nap time for focused school work. Thus far, I refuse to give up MY quiet time, as you stated. Maybe one can when I have middle- or high-schoolers and schooling has become very intense, then I will be willing to sacrifice the quiet time! Not now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anita: I really identified with what you said about having to have endless tricks up the sleeve, all with a smile on the face. And there are so many interruptions! Diaper change, potty break, someone gets injured, etc.

    I like the idea of making a toddler work station of her very own. That is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a clue. NOT A CLUE. My house is so loud it could be used as a weapon of torture by the military. I've been chastised by our piano instructor on more than one occasion over how disruptive and loud the house is and how it is impossible for him to teach piano lessons with screaming preschoolers and toddlers crawling under the piano and yeah... I give up. :( I'm constantly wrangling the toddler and preschooler and they shriek and scream when I remove them from where they want to be. Little kids + quiet, in my experience, is an impossibility.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a quiet two year old right now who is very deliberately popping a packing "pop" sheet one by one. :) Maybe you can save your received packing materials for quiet time... :)

    ReplyDelete