Saturday, March 2, 2013

Stations of the Cross

We have had a quiet week. With Grampa Neil visiting, I had wished we could have more exciting outings--you know, little children-friendly field trips--but I still stick very close to home six weeks after having a baby. Life is hard enough to juggle right now without loading us all up in the car. Plus we had various injuries and illnesses occur this week, which kept us home further still. At least Neil got to see what our real and ordinary life looks like!


We have been praying the Stations of the Cross instead of family Rosary on Fridays. This week I managed to find a lovely Stations of the Cross for children which I printed out last Lent (see here): old fashioned, beautiful pictures, and language that appeals to simplicity but is not watered down for children.

Also, I made a basket of Stations symbols, based on the Stations of the Cross Eggs craft at Catholic Icing. In a humorous aside, before Friday John found this small basket full of interesting things, one of which was a perfectly good nail: he promptly took the nail, found a hammer in the garage, and tried to hammer it into the driveway, where he made a small hole in the concrete and bent the nail. What a boyish misadventure! A conversation ensued about taking things without asking and hammering where it isn't appropriate.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Pardon my ignorance, but in the Stations booklet, it says to pray an Our Father, Glory Be, Etc. after each station. What is the etc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priscilla: I don't know what the "etc." means! All I know is to pray the Hail Mary, the Our Father, and the Glory Be at each station. I don't know of more. Does anyone else have any light to shed on this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "etc." refers to the rest of the prayer. At least, I think so because when I've seen prayers with responses written out, it will say "Hail Mary, etc." to mean say the whole prayer and not just the words "Hail Mary."

    ReplyDelete