Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday 2013

Maundy Thursday marked John's first attendance at the Mass of the Last Supper with Daddy: I realized that I don't think I've ever gone to that particular Mass because I've always been pregnant (so couldn't stay awake that late) or had a toddler (so stayed home on toddler night duty). This is my season!

We began Good Friday with some spring cleaning as a family to prepare for Easter, which I thought both practical (we have guests coming) and somewhat penitential for the day. However, I too-late discovered that Maundy Thursday comes with a tradition of spring cleaning so I will try to do that next year!

"Maundy Thursday's emphasis on ritual washing also gave rise to the ancient tradition of spring cleaning, evidently related to the Jewish custom of ritually cleaning the home in preparation for the Feast of Passover. Everything was to be cleaned and polished in preparation for the Easter celebration. You can tell children about this tradition and ask to them to clean their rooms in order to observe Maundy Thursday. (Be sure to let us know if this works!)"

Then we dyed Easter Eggs, but I made a mental note that I'd like to switch that tradition from Good Friday to Holy Saturday. The Blessing of Food occurs in parishes on Saturday, so one needs the eggs dyed by mid-day, but there should be time on Saturday morning to do it. I'm finding egg-dying to be just a bit too celebratory and fun for Good Friday, so am making a note to myself to rearrange traditions next year.

We figured how to draw out more patience from the children to let the eggs sit in the dye long enough to create vibrant colors: read to them from Easter books while we wait!






Another note to myself for next year: As cute as the girls looked in the springy 'sister-sister' dresses Mary chose for them today, it is appropriate and traditional for Catholics to wear dark, mourning clothing on Good Friday, our most solemn day of the year. Darling springy clothing can make its appearance when He is risen!




We attended Stations of the Cross and Confession as a family. (I am so pleased to see with what joy and a light step John emerges from the confessional. He seems to like this sacrament very much and that bodes well for his future sacramental life as a Catholic.) Confession was notable for me: If you can envision four priests in different confessionals, with lines out the door for each one, in an almost silent atmosphere. Then my two-year-old made a loud and extended bodily noise followed by her own laughter and bursting into loud song using her own invented potty talk lyrics set to the tune of 'Mary Had a Little Lamb.'

After we came home, we watched a children's movie of the Passion: certainly not as traditional as attending the Passion reading at church at three o'clock, but better than missing the Passion altogether! (Note to myself for next year: the children did so well today that, barring illness or something of that nature, I think they could last long enough, with playing in the grass and a picnic snack in between services, to get through the three o'clock Passion play as well, making a four-hour total visit to the church.)

For dinner I made fish, rice with veggies, and an onion frittata: I lost half of the frittata to the bottom of the pan by burning it black (not entirely uncommon when I cook, but I come by it honestly, as my mom always said), but I thought the remainder had a good flavor and fluffy texture!

In the evening, Chris took John and Mary to Tenebrae, which we affectionately call "the boom-boom Mass" because that is what three-year-old Mary excitedly named it after attending last year.

4 comments:

  1. Hafsa: I'm not busy like this when I am pregnant either! And my children aren't anywhere near as closely spaced as your blessings. Let's see, I've been pregnant around Christmas all three times and I do far fewer things when I am. Don't you worry! You are doing God's will by having the babies: the extras are just that: extra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there other occasions on which one can light the Pascal candle? I am curious about this tradtion and making one for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire: Without having researched the matter, I don't know when else one would light the paschal candle. I wonder when it is lit in the actual church?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do eggs on Saturday also.

    I recognize in Joseph that same "ironic smirk" that I associate with Chris. I've seen it in some of your other kids too. Fun how genes work.

    ReplyDelete