Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Maple Syrup Snow Candy

I felt badly for the children that they almost entirely missed out on playing in the snow: on Sunday we were gone all day at Mass, lunch, and the baptism. By the time we got home, there was hardly any snow left. So on Monday when we were dressed for the day and starting school time and the children begged first to make maple syrup snow candy (as learned from Laura Ingalls Wilder), I aquiesced. We made an exception to their Lenten no-desserts sacrifice because it's been two years since we had snow and who knows when we'll have it again.

 Heating maple syrup and butter to 220 degrees

 Drizzling over snow

Twirling a popsicle stick in the candy

8 comments:

  1. Good for you! If I've learned anything down here in GA, it's that you have to take time to smell the roses---or play in the snow! So, we no longer do our homeschooling first, before playing in the snow, because it will all be gone by the time they're finished! We love maple sugar candy, but we've never made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, I think you should update us. How was it? Did they like it? What did you think of it?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley: You know, I didn't get to try it! Just as I was pouring the syrup, a lovely lady from church knocked on the door delivering a frozen-for-future-use and entirely unexpected meal! She had heard I had a newborn and just brought a meal without even signing up on the website. It was so kind! Anyway, by the time she and I were done chatting, all the maple syrup candy had been wolfed down by the children. They tell me it was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know how it was as well! I demand a re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! My kids have asked about making molasses candy that they learned about in one of those books too. But obviously we have the same problem of hardly any snow. Glad you thought to take advantage of what was left on Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The husband tasted it... It was really good... It tasted more caramel than maple... which is good. I wonder if we could simulate snow with dry ice from the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Husband: I hesitate to tell you this, but I read in the instructions that one can substitute VANILLA ICE CREAM for the snow. And then eat the delicious candy with vanilla ice cream. Doesn't that sound delicious?

    ReplyDelete